Baymule’s 2021 Lambing

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, white on white -- who's you momma??? :oops: :). 19 kids last yr, 17 white. But 12 were boys, so leaving anyway.

Don't know about sheep but, goats tend to hang in families. So even when weaned, at night they'll pile up together. I've gone in and marked them that way to tag or collar next day. Much easier if markings and colors!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I just went down my list of tagged lambs and went through the lambing thread and figured out who the last 3 untagged lambs are. Two, a ewe and a ram lamb are Lucy's. The ram is outstanding, long in the loin and a big boy. Nice lamb. The other one is a ewe lamb, belonging to Miranda. So I can tag the ram, but will have to watch for one of the ewe lambs to nurse, grab her and tag her. Then I can tag the other one.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa and I tag team them if we don't get them tagged by day two. We walk around until we ID a lamb and I pull a treat or two out of my pocket to give the ewe and while she is begging for the treats, the lamb stays close to mom and is snagged by one of us. :) We lamb in the field though so we try to get them fairly quick. Last year was a pain since at one point we had over 50 lambs out there.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today we went to the auction in Emory, just for the fun of it. Small weaning size lambs didn't bring much $50 to $75. Lambs a year and older brought up to $280, average around $200. Rams sold better than ewes. Goats were about the same

Horses were low, $75 to $150 to a kill buyer. One was saddled and ridden in the ring, he brought $900. Several nice horses brought in the $500 range.

I tried to follow the cattle, but have a hard time following the auctioneer. I did catch the price on some black Angus looking calves at $1.48. There were a bunch of Brahma that tried to take the ring apart.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, just taking a day for us. Then we went home, fed the bottle lambs and went to Longhorn Steakhouse in Tyler. We told them were celebrating our 25th Anniversary, late, because were snowed in on our Anniversary. They gave us dessert on the house! All together, it was a nice day.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well THAT has changed! I suddenly realized I had a butt load of WHITE lambs. Now what? Tagging the colored ones was easy and I tagged the last 3 births of white lambs. But for the rest..... I squirted blue food coloring on a white lamb when I saw him nursing his mon. Today I tagged the colored lambs, the blue spot lamb and all but 3 of the white lambs. I just waited for them to nurse and grabbed them. Only 3 more to tag. I think from now on, I’ll be tagging lambs when they hit the ground. Duh.
A lady I watch on youtube that lambs out 400ish ewes has a pretty slick system. She has 4 colors of "spray paint" which I assume is livestock paint. She does 1 color for singles, another for twins, another for triplets, and for the rare quads and quints she has another color. When the ewe is done lambing, she sprays all of them with the same color and number. So, the first ewe to lamb is sprayed 1 as are all of her lambs. Makes it easy to know at a glance if you see an ewe by herself that she should have twins based on the color and you can tell which are hers based on the numbers. She tags as well, but she tags with little rfid tags that you have to scan to read so she only reads tags when she is weighing or deciding who to keep.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
She raises sheep like cornish crosses, but she seems to know her stuff. I watch her stuff because a lot of the sheep stuff correlates with goat stuff and she is a lambing/kidding expert. I doubt I could do what she does. SO MUCH SHEEP. She does have CL in the flock though-a big "no no" for goats.