Baymule’s 2021 Lambing

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same with the cows at pasture..... have to get feed in the troughs, then go call, and when they get close open the gate to the pen.... otherwise, if you don't get most of them up fairly close, the first ones in will pig down the grain/pellets, and the laggards will not want to come in because there won't be any left... and the "pigs" will run over you trying to get that last bit you were saving to give the late ones.... And believe me, getting run down by 20, 1100 lb cows is a hazard to your health.... especially with knees that don't work good!!!!
But the up side is it is so nice to not have to go chasing animals.... although we usually have a few that are not as easy to get in.... a few that are standoffish, and then any bought animals that don't really get the procedure.....but if it was raised here, it knows what a call to come is for. We always try to give them some feed, or some real good alfalfa hay if the pastures are short, when we call them.... often not even closing gates or anything.... just so they know that being called there is a reward.....

Last edited:

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw this and instantly thought of you Baymule..💞🐑🐏🐑
:weee
D503A45D-E5BC-48A7-A5BC-BA3BE0D0A8B7.jpeg

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
@chickens really where do you find these? Priceless, love the plaid sheep! That gives me ideas....... Haha, ever seen a purple spotted Appaloosa horse? All you need is a spray can of Blu-Cote.
These things just fall into my lap and I quickly scoop them up! 😂👏
I’ll keep my eyes pealed for more. 😊

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got 10 sheep loaded up for auction this morning. 6 ewes, 2 have lambs on them. Plus a 3 month old ewe lamb. I’m excited to be making room for better ewes, but sad to see them go. I raised them, named them and they are spoiled. But they just don’t make the cut. The 6 ewe lambs I’m keeping are way much better than the ones that are going.

My son came over yesterday to spend the weekend with us, he helped me load them. This afternoon we’ll wean ram lambs.

However much money I get for these will go towards purchasing a few registered ewes. I expect prices to be just so-so, but I’ll take what I get and be happy.

Latest posts