Reaction score
Something like the ones with this general shape
white-everbilt-shelving-brackets-14327-c3_145.jpg

found on this page

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks great
but (and you are going to hate me for this) My bet is the shelves will sag in the middle over time given the sort of things you are putting on them. Maybe some midline angle braces??
:hide
Good eye, Bruce!

@Baymule , I made a long, low shelf in my pantry once. I screwed a length of 1x2 onto the back wall to stop it sagging.

I just took some quick pictures of it. Please forgive the dust and cobwebs. I usually just poke the end of the vacuum under there without looking to see if I actually suck anything up! :lol: :hide102377A0-F4C7-4278-855F-3560C5A8EA10.jpegEB31FDB3-63DB-4FBB-A26F-D91B8A8C88FC.jpeg

You might be able to get by with one or two pieces of 2x4 screwed to wherever your studs are.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the bracket @Bruce. Since the shelves are 29” deep, I don’t think that would work. With it being a mobile home, probably not a stud in the middle of that wall anyway.

I was thinking ripping a 2x4 in half, and screwing it under the shelf. Probably a ripped half 2x4 support front and back. Or maybe with a spline like that, the bracket would work.

@Finnie your shelf looks nice. I don’t see any dust! If the shelves were a single board, that would work splendidly for me.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
View attachment 95028

This whole cabinet has me puzzled! 🤪

You are right. Those openings are ridiculously small. The thought of putting even small things in and out of there makes me picture getting the back of my hand all scraped up! And with how deep those shelves are, if you put any stuff all the way to the back, you are going to have to do a lot of pulling things out to get access to the stuff back there.

Is there any way you could remove that whole brown cupboard façade and replace it with something that has better doors? Lol, or even a curtain! 😂
A couple of well placed Lazy Susans might help. Got one in my fridge because food is often just an excuse for Condiments. ( why stop at 3 kinds of mustard?)

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOVE IT!!!! Oh yeah - feels sooo good to have a place to put things.
I'll second the lazy susan idea. Check Amazon for some. I've got this one it's flat on one side and also has a center part that spins.
View attachment 95031
Oooo- I like the flat sided lazy Susan!

@Blue Sky i just counted 6 kinds of mustard plus 1 honey-mustard salad dressing! 😂

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m all over the spin racks. I’ve got 2 double tiered ones for spices and a double tiered long U shape one. They are great for all those small bottles.

84189E60-54D4-4A51-B39B-0360AC8B5A13.jpeg

D1876D89-05A6-446A-A920-9F24AC9E7ED4.jpeg

9902DB6A-E2A6-4AD9-9EDA-A2719742AB68.jpeg

These are in my big walnut cabinet. The cabinet was my paternal grandmother’s wardrobe many years ago. It was set out on the porch in the weather. My parents were visiting and asked could they have it. They had it refinished and shelves put in it. It now resides in my kitchen/dining area.

Notice the box on the left, it’s Premiere1 electronetting…….. and the tub on the right is sheep supplies. I tell y’all what—I sure know how to decorate a kitchen/dining area!

A9611E59-B6C5-46E2-AE21-37EDAEDF9341.jpeg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the bracket @Bruce. Since the shelves are 29” deep, I don’t think that would work. With it being a mobile home, probably not a stud in the middle of that wall anyway.

I was thinking ripping a 2x4 in half, and screwing it under the shelf. Probably a ripped half 2x4 support front and back. Or maybe with a spline like that, the bracket would work.

@Finnie your shelf looks nice. I don’t see any dust! If the shelves were a single board, that would work splendidly for me.
I didn't realize they were that deep, should have been able to tell by the things you have on them. Oh, and studs, who needs those? ;)

I think the support strips would help but you've got some really heavy stuff on there. My next idea, which you will like even less because it breaks up the space and makes it less useful:
Vertical 3/4" boards midline on the shelves carrying the weight down to the floor. That will support the weight but break the space in half so the bigger/wider stuff can't go past midline.

Perhaps a compromise on that would be to notch the shelves midline front and back for a 2" wide vertical support with 3/4x1" strips running under the shelves between the 2 uprights. You might need to move some things to get to those that span the midline but maybe not too bad if what you put there are the lesser used items.

Or ... clunky as heck, replace the reasonable looking 3/4" shelves with 2x lumber.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce I like the support board from top to floor. Kinda late to put that in the back, so would have to be a series of cut boards between the shelves.

I can always put big items on the ends.

I can put a front to back middle support board with a front top to floor support board. Then cut to fit pieces for back support.

There was a shelf there. It had ripped 2x4s on the 4 corners, with ripped 2x4s supports between them. 1x16 for shelves, the glued together strips, manufactured type boards. So I reused those, bought 1x12s and filled in with 1x6s and 1x8s I already had. I would have made them deeper but had the furnace on the right side. Kind of a use what I have project.

I figured up shelf towers for the other 2 bedroom closets, plus the shelf board to go on top of the pole brackets, as well as the 1x12s for the utility room project and spent almost $400 on just 1x12s. Ouch.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there anyway you can put in or fashion pull out shelves for that funky cabinet? Check on Amazon - there's tons of different styles ranging from affordable to crazy.

Latest posts