Baymule’s Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree culling based on the bad udder attachments, and the prolapse. Hopefully they will get a replacement ewe lamb out of her. Since she is an older ewe and Covingtons had her in their production flock for several years, a ewe lamb probably won't have any genetic faults to prolapse.

Admit it, sewing up that ewe wasn't any harder that the upholstery you used to do, now was it? Nothing to it for a tough Texan woman!
:hugs:highfive:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whew! 9:43 and I just came in.
I’ve checked on Prolapse Ewe all day. I collected fecal samples a couple of days ago, so after morning chores, I got busy on them. I finished at nearly 2, running out to check on ewe.

At 3:35 I checked on ewe. Uh oh. She had managed to squeeze out a bag of amniotic fluid. How did she get THIS through those stitches??

IMG_6645.jpeg

I texted Chase for help, he tied her up and held her still while I cut stitches loose. Then I watched. Nothing. She’s either going to miscarry, have lambs, or turn her insides out and die. I took pictures and sent to my friend. I was not optimistic. I told him that I wished that I could tell him how it was going to wind up, but I wouldn’t know until it got here. Be prepared for the worst and anything above that, take as a nice surprise. He texted back that he understood.

On one of my trips out to check on the ewe, there was a RATTLESNAKE right next to the back porch and I nearly stepped on it! First thing I did was put Carson up so he wouldn’t help me. Sentry and Buford were barking at their gate, they knew it was there. I grabbed a shovel.

IMG_6647.jpeg

Hahaha! I pulled a @Mini Horse style attack! Snake was biting shovel blade, I got him about 8” behind his head. I wanted to step on the shovel, to cut it in half, but didn’t want it to bite through my boot. Aha! A wood stake! Keeping pressure on the shovel, I sidled over to reach for the stake, then started whacking the snakes head. I channeled my inner @Mini Horse and beat that head over and over. Then stepped on shovel, cutting snake behind head, OFF. Then I raised shovel and beat a Smack Down on that snake head.

Snake was 5’ long, 11 rattles and a button.

IMG_6650.jpeg

Snake in a bucket anyone?

IMG_6651.jpeg

I fed dogs, sheep, did chores. Check ewe. Cook supper, check ewe. Sitting in recliner, could see her through window. She was laying down, she raised her head and pointed her nose to the sky. That is a sign of being in labor! All of a sudden, she stood up and turned around! Something on the ground! I was outa there and at her pen as fast as I could get there.

A lamb! And breathing! Not dead! Then another lamb! Covered in yellow, that’s a sign of difficult labor. Ya’ think? I ran for towels, scrubbed them to further stimulate breathing, wiped faces and nostrils. Both were baa baaing!

IMG_6652.jpeg

They struggled to their feet, trying to find milk. I squeezed a teat, milk! I helped one latch on and it started sucking. I squeezed the other teat and got nothing. No milk. I worried that they wouldn’t get enough colostrum, so I called Atwoods. Yes they had lamb colostrum . It was 7:30.

I hopped on the Kawasaki mule, raced it to my car at church and drove car to Atwoods. I found the colostrum and got a bag. It was getting dark. Once I got on the mule to drive the 2 miles home on the terrible road, it was going to be dark, and no lights on the mule. So I bought a good flashlight too.

I got home , mixed colostrum and went out to see if the lambs were hungry. They had full tummies, but took a little bit. The ewe moved and……. WHAT?? Another one?? TRIPLETS?? Yes! I offered it the bottle and it sucked down almost 2 ounces.

Mom is taking good care of her babies.

IMG_6657.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6655.jpeg
    IMG_6655.jpeg
    645.5 KB · Views: 17

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whew! 9:43 and I just came in.
I’ve checked on Prolapse Ewe all day. I collected fecal samples a couple of days ago, so after morning chores, I got busy on them. I finished at nearly 2, running out to check on ewe.

At 3:35 I checked on ewe. Uh oh. She had managed to squeeze out a bag of amniotic fluid. How did she get THIS through those stitches??

View attachment 108291

I texted Chase for help, he tied her up and held her still while I cut stitches loose. Then I watched. Nothing. She’s either going to miscarry, have lambs, or turn her insides out and die. I took pictures and sent to my friend. I was not optimistic. I told him that I wished that I could tell him how it was going to wind up, but I wouldn’t know until it got here. Be prepared for the worst and anything above that, take as a nice surprise. He texted back that he understood.

On one of my trips out to check on the ewe, there was a RATTLESNAKE right next to the back porch and I nearly stepped on it! First thing I did was put Carson up so he wouldn’t help me. Sentry and Buford were barking at their gate, they knew it was there. I grabbed a shovel.

View attachment 108292

Hahaha! I pulled a @Mini Horse style attack! Snake was biting shovel blade, I got him about 8” behind his head. I wanted to step on the shovel, to cut it in half, but didn’t want it to bite through my boot. Aha! A wood stake! Keeping pressure on the shovel, I sidled over to reach for the stake, then started whacking the snakes head. I channeled my inner @Mini Horse and beat that head over and over. Then stepped on shovel, cutting snake behind head, OFF. Then I raised shovel and beat a Smack Down on that snake head.

Snake was 5’ long, 11 rattles and a button.

View attachment 108293

Snake in a bucket anyone?

View attachment 108294

I fed dogs, sheep, did chores. Check ewe. Cook supper, check ewe. Sitting in recliner, could see her through window. She was laying down, she raised her head and pointed her nose to the sky. That is a sign of being in labor! All of a sudden, she stood up and turned around! Something on the ground! I was outa there and at her pen as fast as I could get there.

A lamb! And breathing! Not dead! Then another lamb! Covered in yellow, that’s a sign of difficult labor. Ya’ think? I ran for towels, scrubbed them to further stimulate breathing, wiped faces and nostrils. Both were baa baaing!

View attachment 108295

They struggled to their feet, trying to find milk. I squeezed a teat, milk! I helped one latch on and it started sucking. I squeezed the other teat and got nothing. No milk. I worried that they wouldn’t get enough colostrum, so I called Atwoods. Yes they had lamb colostrum . It was 7:30.

I hopped on the Kawasaki mule, raced it to my car at church and drove car to Atwoods. I found the colostrum and got a bag. It was getting dark. Once I got on the mule to drive the 2 miles home on the terrible road, it was going to be dark, and no lights on the mule. So I bought a good flashlight too.

I got home , mixed colostrum and went out to see if the lambs were hungry. They had full tummies, but took a little bit. The ewe moved and……. WHAT?? Another one?? TRIPLETS?? Yes! I offered it the bottle and it sucked down almost 2 ounces.

Mom is taking good care of her babies.

View attachment 108297
HOLY TRIPLETS....since Holy Cow doesn't really sound right.... WOW... that is something... Congrats... and hope they continue to do okay... Sure hope this friend will appreciate it. Get them through the next 24-48 hours and hopefully they will be on their way....
GREAT SAVE.....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
WHAT A DAY !!!! 😳😂🥰👍👍

Dang a BAD snake....if I inspired you, you took it to the next level. Good job. Prime women rule! 😂🥰

Now trips -- yikes!! At least that part is real 💕. Is she prolapsed, too? What a wowzer. Ok, they need to come get the family -- the hard part is done...if bottle babes, it's their treat. 😉☺️👍

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks yall! I’m more excited about these babies and ewe than I am over my own. They really wanted lambs and they got triplets!

So far, ewe has not prolapsed.

I don’t think ewe needs to be bred again. Her udder looks just worn out. Unless the lambs can suck and get the other side working, 1 test isn’t going to do all 3. And she could prolapse again. I’ll give my opinion to them, they are realistic and can handle the truth.

Snake! I’m glad I was going out to check ewe and found that snake all stretched out, sunning itself instead of coiled up ready to strike.

Nearly 11, I’m going to bed.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Snake! I’m glad I was going out to check ewe and found that snake all stretched out, sunning itself instead of coiled up ready to strike.
Me, too!!! Also glad a shovel was there!

One time you're glad it wasn't put up in shed. I'd make one a part of each porch. 😂 TX wildlife 🤔

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Holy moly!!! Glad the rattler was on a trip to just check the ewe and not on the run out when she lambed. Good job on the permanent relocation!! WTG
Then triplets - what a way to end the day. 😍 sounds like the ewe just had a vaginal prolapse rather than a uterine prolapse. Neither is good of course but sounds like she’ll have a good chance at raising them. Esp if the other teat starts working. Guessing the prolapse happened because she had no room left at the inn.
Yay @Baymule !!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ewe’s owner offered to put a light bar on my mule. I told him I’d be driving home in the dark and bought a new flashlight so I could see to find my way home. LOL I think I’ll take him up on that.

I’ll go check on mom and lambs when it gets daylight. I’m thinking pull one or two to bottle feed. I gotta see how many ram/ewe there are. Pull ram(s) castrate so they can run with the flock, then they can butcher for meat.