Baymule’s Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
YEEHAW BAYMULE!!! :woot :weee :celebrate :clap :yesss:

No wonder the poor thing was threatening to prolapse - triplets! The owners were lucky to have you available to use SageHill's vet wrap sling to keep trips in long enough to be born normally.

Dying to know what she had.

We had a Big Suffolk ewe given to us who freshened with mastitis on one side. She twinned and raised both on the one half of her udder. With supplemental bottles for the triplets, this ewe might be able to do the same.
:fl

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 rams and 1 ewe, naturally she is smallest. I went to town, fed colostrum before I left. Last one born is enthusiastic, other 2 not so much. Was gone 3 hours. They were crying when I got back, much more interested in the bottle. Gave each 2 ounces. They were still hungry but I didn’t want to give them too much. I’ll feed them again 1 hour after when I fed them.

I visited with their owners at their business. They will be going on a vacation for 8 days in a few weeks, been planning it for 6 months. I’d already made up my mind that I would keep the babies. If mom wants to be their mom, maybe keep her here too. I think she has no milk judging by how hungry the lambs were.

I explained how I feed my bottle babies, and it’s expensive. I’m roughly $450 into feeding my 3 now. By 6 weeks, the lambs can go to a bottle in the morning and 1 in the evening. They would be able to do that and take the lambs home. He had petted my 3 hooligans when he dropped off the ewe and noted how healthy they are. I recommended castrating the ram lambs in a couple of weeks, when weaned they can join the flock and grow out to slaughter size. They agreed. They will pay for everything and they just can’t believe I’m doing this for them. I’ve suddenly made 2 very good friends.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just putting this out there -- my ewe that prolapsed had twins (first stillborn). Her milk was there, but very slow to coming in. That was the lamb that I ended up supplementing. He'd nurse but not a lot, lay down and just look like he'd decided to "give up" - that's when I stepped in - and supplemented whatever he'd take. I think he was 1 or 2 weeks old when he was 100% on the ewe. I didn't have to supplement the entire time. By the time he was 10 weeks old he was the same size as the other lambs close to his age. Granted you're working with triplets so it's a bit different.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lambs are good this morning. I put them on formula last night and they are taking the bottle well. Going to keep mom awake. With her with them, I don’t have to bring them in the house, put them in a dog crate, diaper and clean up after them all the time. Works for me

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thought about how proud I was that you were able to help your new friends. Then I realized that what I was really proud of was this BYH Forum! Everyone contributes what they know and we learn important information for the times we need it. I love BYH and everyone on it who are so generous with their information, insight, and help.
:hugs and :love to everyone on here!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thought about how proud I was that you were able to help your new friends. Then I realized that what I was really proud of was this BYH Forum! Everyone contributes what they know and we learn important information for the times we need it. I love BYH and everyone on it who are so generous with their information, insight, and help.
:hugs and :love to everyone on here!
Yes!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh goodie! Storm is on the way! Just what I need.

IMG_6660.png