Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It must have passed through quickly. I fell asleep in my recliner, woke up at midnight and it wasn’t raining. Storms today and tomorrow, but I think all I’ll get is a light drizzle.

Yesterday son and I spent the day with my sister. She is now staying in her house, upstairs. Downstairs is stripped to the studs, sprayed for mold and the floor is pressure washed and the deck too. There are some things she salvaged downstairs. Contractor put her in a utility sink so she can wash things and then pack in boxes. She will be packing the upstairs too.

She has found a house to buy. It’s 1600 square feet, 2 bedrooms and spacious. It backs up to a golf course, older neighborhood, well kept, still having new houses built in it. The owner accepted her offer of putting a down payment, then pay it off when she gets her FEMA settlement. It is rented through June 1, then she can have it painted, new carpet and make it hers. There is a concrete patio, she will enlarge it and have it covered for her outdoor living area. It’s on the east side of Interstate 45, ABOVE the dam and nowhere near a river. No floods! Single story! Still close to shopping and places she goes. She is so excited. We drove by it, it’s going to be perfect for her.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been catching up on posts. Son and I left Friday morning for Corpus Christi to see oldest granddaughter graduate high school. She is 16, and graduated with 36 college credits. She will take summer classes and gain 4 more credits, start college in the fall.

IMG_6671.jpeg

We came back Saturday with a detour to look at a tractor. He didn’t buy it.

We took back roads coming and going, instead of going the direct route through Houston. Houston holiday traffic was a nightmare plus they had closed lanes for roadwork all over the place. On one road, there was a family selling sweet corn, $5 per bakers dozen. I bought 4 dozen and put it up as cream corn yesterday. I measured out 1 cup per bag and got 32 bags.

This morning I’ve got to run the ewe crew through the chute, have some wormy ones to treat. I have a few that are way over the top wormy, I credit the constant rain, heat and humid conditions coupled with them having lambs and one field. They have another field to graze, but prefer the bigger field. I see a fence charger and hot wire in my future so I can rotational grazing. One of these days I’ll get it all together.

News from my sister-I can have the free standing garage out back, FEMA doesn’t include it in the buy out. Sister still has a few things in it, and I’ll get the little girls next week, so tear down is at least 2-3 weeks out. She was so excited to tell me the good news! There is my barn materials!

It’s hot and muggy outside. I’m not excited or very motivated to go work sheep this morning. I’m tired, procrastinating, don’t want to, whine, piss and moan.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on being able to get the building/garage... Taking down will be a pain, but putting it up will make you, and your sheep, very happy.

Can't hardly believe that the oldest granddaughter graduated high school... and she is sooooo smart too. Just hope she can be a "kid" too.... so many smart kids get so focused on achievement that they miss some of the fun of just being their age. She had grown to be a very pretty young lady. Glad you and your son went.

I did that last year .... went to test a farm, and went up the main road instead of the interstate, and was a bit early and found some people selling sweet corn and bought 4 doz and brought them home and put in the freezer... Nice and fresh.

It is cloudy and wet out there. I see the calf coats got blown off the line so have to go find them in all the tall grass. It is misty wet, and this should go through by noontime today. Then another possibility this evening. besides the wind last night, the moisture is welcome.
Glad you are drying out.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
:weee

Will it be hard to tear down?
It’s wood framed, with big 6”x6” posts lots of valuable lumber in it. Trusses, how the heck to get them down? I can crawl around unscrewing the metal, no problem. I’ll have to hire help, just have to find out how to get the trusses down. Everything else will be hard work, but certainly doable. Stack all the lumber in the shipping containers, until I drag it out to build barns.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule Pulling down the trusses is a hire a crew job. Need 1 person operating a skyboom or mini-crane to support weight, 1 person on tailing rope, and 1 person to remove cross bracing etc holding it in place. I helped install trusses on a garage as a teenager and it was pretty dicy. That doesn't even mention potential site issues like electric lines.