Baymule’s Pigs 2018 HEREFORDS!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not to be a downer but u better get the hot wire ran along the inside bottom.

Or u will be running after piggies
I've never had any get out. They root along the wire, but never root out. First time for everything, but so far, so good. But that is why we double fenced. Their pen is on the outside property line, so we fenced them a pen that is not up against any other fence. If they get out, they won't be OUT.

I have to thank you for posting your pig set up on my other pig thread. You inspired me to build a sorta-kinda-halfway copy of what you did. I love the water barrel outside the fence with a hog nipple. I had never heard of a hog nipple, I am amazed. So easy! I had the metal feed bin already, but now I can fill it standing outside of the Pig Palace. Same thing with the blue barrel in the corner, so darn easy now! Thank you!

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your welcome. A hog nipple and a barrel is the only way to go. And for me a hot wire and hog rings some times. The inside of my hut is down about a foot cause I didn't ring the last ones. Now I will have to get some sandstone fill to bring it back up.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your welcome. A hog nipple and a barrel is the only way to go. And for me a hot wire and hog rings some times. The inside of my hut is down about a foot cause I didn't ring the last ones. Now I will have to get some sandstone fill to bring it back up.

What size hog rings do you use? And do you ring them when they are small weaners? These were 4 1/2 months old already, I don't see me holding them down to ring their nose. LOL

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use hog nipples on all of our waterers. When DH showed pigs, they ran water lines and put the nipples on them and didnt have to fill waterers all summer. Of course the lines had to be drained for winter.

I like having my pigs around to feed all of the scraps to. Some batches of ours are more enjoyable than others. The ones we have now are really uneasy. I haven’t really tried to tame them though. They’ll be gone in about 6 weeks now.

Are you leaving them boars or castrating them?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the hog nipples! I never knew!

yes, I am leaving them as boars. At this point, what's the point of castrating them? We slaughtered a 1-2 year old boar last year and he was delicious!

@BoboFarm look on Craigslist under blue barrels.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I found a place that sells them that's a couple of hours away. CL the first place I looked. I went to a restaurant supply store for a couple of things and asked if they had any or knew of anyone that had them. The manager suggested using one of their food grade trash barrels. I havn't seen them used so I wasn't sure if they would work. They're $10 each.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, so now I'm perplexed. I have been looking on CL for blue barrels for over a month now on my work PC and could only find them in California. I look on CL on my phone and several places around me have them. What gives? Why would looking on my phone be different than my PC? Oh well, at least I found them :)