Baymule's Lambs, 2nd Lambing

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bossroo has a very good point. That is something to always consider when raising animals for meat especially.

I have goats, not sheep but I look at the whole kidding history.

I've had a doe that had a single on her first kidding and triplets on her second. But her daughter threw twins as a FF.

I have another who had 3 on her FF, 1 on her 2F, 3 on her 3F, and 4 on her 4F.

I have several does that were singles themselves but throw triplets.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out @Bossroo I have given that some thought. Since Lily is Lady Baa Baa's daughter, I am waiting to see if she singles. Yes, I do want ewes that twin, gotta feed them the same as one that twins. These are my "learner" sheep. I plan on grading up with a Registered Dorper ram in 2 years and will also buy a few registered ewes. I will still keep my grade sheep and more than likely phase them out, we'll see how it goes. It's just as easy to feed and care for a good animal as it is to feed and care for a so-so animal. Naturally I want the best return for my investment and work, but I sure don't want to kill an expensive registered sheep out of ignorance.

"Would you be satisfied with less than 100% ( figuring in losses ) lamb crop or 140% to 200% lamb crop be better ?"

More is better! :thumbsup

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Nicely done Lady Baba! Grats Bay :D Glad Dh is doing well.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule how are you doing with the loss of your Ewe you had to put down a while back? I still think of Cookie quite a bit... They are special and cannot be replaced. :hugs:hugs
She was my special ewe, the rest of them are just not her. I miss her. Funny thing, my wildest, bounce off the wire, ewe that wanted nothing to do with me, settled right down when she had twins. Now she comes up to eat out of my hand.

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
She was my special ewe, the rest of them are just not her. I miss her. Funny thing, my wildest, bounce off the wire, ewe that wanted nothing to do with me, settled right down when she had twins. Now she comes up to eat out of my hand.
:hugsI understand. :) like SBC said, we can love them all, but there's those really special ones too... :hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I weaned the 3 boys a few days ago. They are with Paris in the back yard. She has turned out to be such a good sheep guard, I am proud of her. The flock stayed right next to the backyard fence for days, baa-baaing their distress at being separated. Interestingly enough, Lady BaaBaa was the most upset-and they aren't her lambs! LOL