Beef cattle?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
The way our fair works is that 4H kids raise their cattle for show (so they are all show animals) and then sell them at the auction to make a little money to cover their costs and roll on into next year---they get top dollar for their animals, mostly because businesses and families put up the cash since it is for the kids. No one else is selling at the auction

I wonder if your county has a website that lists lasts year's sale prices for you or I would maybe call into the fair board and ask them because different counties have different rules. Or maybe check in with the people you sit for (and let us know too ;) ).

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures said:
The way our fair works is that 4H kids raise their cattle for show (so they are all show animals) and then sell them at the auction to make a little money to cover their costs and roll on into next year---they get top dollar for their animals, mostly because businesses and families put up the cash since it is for the kids. No one else is selling at the auction

I wonder if your county has a website that lists lasts year's sale prices for you or I would maybe call into the fair board and ask them because different counties have different rules. Or maybe check in with the people you sit for (and let us know too ;) ).
Alright then. I wasn't aware that the fairs were just for 4-H kids. I can just sell mine on Craigslist then or something. lol! If I find out I'll let you know.

ourflockof4

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Back to Nature said:
Alright then. I wasn't aware that the fairs were just for 4-H kids. I can just sell mine on Craigslist then or something. lol! If I find out I'll let you know.
So you are looking for a way to sell something that you already raised? Or you have an idea in your head that you want to raise grass feed beef and are looking for a price that you can sell it for to see if it is worth it?

If you would be more clear on your question we could be a lot more helpfull.

Some county fairs do have open classes that anyone can show in, some are only for kids (4-H, FFA, ect.) But, grass fed animals are not going to show well, or sell well. At the one local fair that I know has open classes I'm pretty sure the sale ring is only for the junior fair, not open classes.

You need to find a different way to sell. Marketing is key. If you market it right and de a good job of finishing the steer then you should be able to sell for a premium. I would think you need to sell it private party and not at an auction. You will probably take a hit on price at an auction because it won't look "fat"

ourflockof4

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Back to Nature said:
I'm asking how much people would pay per pound of beef at a fair. The people I babysit for go to a fair every year, pick a couple of animals have then butchered and packaged, and drive home...
I didn't catch this earlier. Yes, chances are they go to a junior fair auction. It would depend on the location how much they would pay, and also if they are getting champion animals or non champion. Those were the prices I mentioned in my earlier post. Most fair auction results are posted locally in papers of online. One farm paper I get covers Eastern Ohio, Penn, & WV and they post a lot of those results. I will say that Penn, and even E/SE Ohio has a lot higher fair sale prices.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you would be more clear on your question we could be a lot more helpfull.
I'm going to raise calves anyways for my family and friends, but a homestead book I was reading (written by a homesteader who's done it) says she raises two; one for the family, one to sell to help recoup some of the costs. I'm trying to decide how common this is. But if fairs are only for children, and auctions only take "fat" animals, my best bet for pastured beef would be health-conscious families, right?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You can sell any animal at auction. However, the buyer at the typical livestock auction has no clue what the animal was fed prior to you taking it there. Some auctions are graded and so animals that grade higher sell for more, otherwise (if the auction isn't graded) the animals are sold based on looks. Unhealthy and animals that don't look 'right' get prices severely discounted. (For example, someone took a Brown Swiss bull calf that had HUGE bones and had a hard time walking around and he sold for $15.00/cwt--all the other normal, healthy calves were selling for $80-110/cwt.)

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you are looking to just sell a couple extra head, try craigslist. At least in my area, that's a pretty common way for small farms to market their meat animals.

I also agree with you that selling grass-fed beef will do best finding a few families who are into grass-fed meats rather than trying to compete at an auction where people are expecting grain-fed animals.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
If you are looking to just sell a couple extra head, try craigslist. At least in my area, that's a pretty common way for small farms to market their meat animals.

I also agree with you that selling grass-fed beef will do best finding a few families who are into grass-fed meats rather than trying to compete at an auction where people are expecting grain-fed animals.
Do they expect grain fed? That's disappointing. Sounds like Craigslist is the best bet.

ourflockof4

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Back to Nature said:
Do they expect grain fed? That's disappointing. Sounds like Craigslist is the best bet.
No they don't really expect grain feed, they expect well finished cattle. It's hard to get a well finished steer on grass (but is possible) You can sell at auction, but you will sell at a significant discount from a typical fat cattle buyer.

You will need to market direct to the consumer to re coop your cost.

It's difficult to explain the cattle market. I could go into more detail if you would like though.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ourflockof4 said:
Back to Nature said:
No they don't really expect grain feed, they expect well finished cattle. It's hard to get a well finished steer on grass (but is possible) You can sell at auction, but you will sell at a significant discount from a typical fat cattle buyer.

You will need to market direct to the consumer to re coop your cost.

It's difficult to explain the cattle market. I could go into more detail if you would like though.
If you want. It's good to hear from experienced raisers.

Latest posts