Bees too?!?!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have lizards that sit at the hive and grab bees. :mad:

Thanks for the explanation on the feeders. I will do something this week, even if it is baggie feeders for now.

I haven't been in my hives for about a month, hopefully this week; even with 5 it takes more time that I have at times and the mite treatment is certainly something I have to stay on top of. My DH was supposed to take over this hobby but he never did so it is still on my plate along with the garden, the orchard, the goats, and pretty much everything else. I need the bees here for the orchard whether I get honey or not but I would like to at least keep them alive.

I have corn that is tasseling right now and the bees are all over it, never knew they liked corn and here I can plant it late so it is a good fall pollen source for them. They are all over the tomatillos too. Our star thistle has come and gone, but it was a good amount for sure.

I only have screened boards on two of my hives, guess I need to get a few more ordered, but darn they are expensive.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
babs,

If you have a router or a table saw, the screened sticky boards are super easy to make and cost a fraction of what most bee shops sell them for.

Heck, even a normal circular saw would work if you made a guide for it and were super patient and careful with the slot cut.

Let me know if you need some free plans.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a router that I have never used, but also a table saw and dado blades. I would love some plans.
The two screened boards I have are from Country Rubes at $43.00 each. OUCH!!! I think I was richer before I owned goats. :)

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I knew there was a reason I didn't get goats. ;)

I too have the screened bottom boards from Country Rubes. My 3rd hive (this years swarm), I decided to try a solid bottom board and compare them. Too soon for any comparison, but so far, the bees seem to be doing fine on both.