Best soap recipes

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
thanks for the link @babsbag, I marked it and will be reading it over! DD would really like to try making soap- we have most everything ready just need a couple of mixing bowls!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought a cheap stainless steel pot at Walmart to melt the oils in. I use a cheap plastic container for measuring lye and a 8 cup glass measuring cup for mixing the lye and milk together. I know that all of my recipes use 13-19 oz. of liquid so I freeze my milk in 13 oz. containers. I used to use only milk in my recipes but had a difficult time keeping it "white" and sometimes the lye would not dissolve because the milk was so cold. So now I dissolve my lye in 6 oz of water and then pour that mixture slowly over the frozen milk. Seems to work really well. When I am doing swirls and want to make other colors I have three 4 cup glass measuring cups that I use. I am very fortunate that I have a whole room off of the garage for making soap, it even has a dishwasher, stove top, and microwave. I love my room.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just haven't gotten that far yet ;).....,I do need stainless steel for using on our stove-might have to check into what Walmart has and then get some glass measuring cups. DH made us some mold boxes for putting the soap into.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in buying some break-apart wooden molds please send me a PM. They hold 3 pounds. A friend was making them and selling them in my classes but I haven't been teaching. I think I have about 10 of them.

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I made soap tonight...it is a fragrance I have never used before...White Tea and Ginger. I usually try and make my soaps a color that goes with the fragrance, like purple for lavender, burgundy for Cranberry, etc. I couldn't come up with a color so I tried pale yellow and brown. Can anyone say 'rootbeer' soap? That is sure what it looks like.

What color would you do with White Tea and Ginger?

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@babsbag

maybe no color swirled with tan, or brown, or a metallic?

I am interested in molds, i'll pm ina few, kids are yellin', i need to go investigate

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I made soap tonight...it is a fragrance I have never used before...White Tea and Ginger. I usually try and make my soaps a color that goes with the fragrance, like purple for lavender, burgundy for Cranberry, etc. I couldn't come up with a color so I tried pale yellow and brown. Can anyone say 'rootbeer' soap? That is sure what it looks like.

What color would you do with White Tea and Ginger?

Maybe a pale green :idunno

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just found this thread, and am really interested! Have been wanting to make soap for a while now, but somehow the "time" part of the equation never quite works for me! :hu

I already make my own lotions and salves, as well as deodorant spray, tooth soap, mosquito/chigger repellant and non-toxic cleaning spray.

Now that I am finally milking :th I will have milk for making soaps. So, I will definitely be following this thread? :caf

Last edited: