Black NZ x Cali

jdubya

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen the result of this cross? Not a broken black, but a solid black.

jdubya

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No. All solid black genes.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
No. All solid black genes.

They'd have to be. Solid can't carry broken, because broken is dominant - if the rabbit has a broken gene, you will see it (the rabbit will be a broken). Two broken rabbits can have a solid baby, but two solids never have a broken. The only exception to that would be if one of the "solids" was a completely white rabbit, like a REW. Since a white rabbit has no color in its coat, how could you tell if it had a gene that took color out of some parts of its coat?

TheRabbitNewbee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
From what I understand crossing a black and a Californian you would get a Californian with enlarged markings.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what I understand crossing a black and a Californian you would get a Californian with enlarged markings.
Ummmmmmmm . . . . Sorry, but this is not correct. If you crossed a Cali to a New Zealand White, you'd get a Cali with smaller markings. Crossing a Black to a Cali could give you solid black, or Steel, or maybe Chestnut, but the only way you'd get Cali's would be if the black was carrying a gene for REW, in which case some of the babies would be black or Steel, and some Cali's with smaller markings.

TheRabbitNewbee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I guess my understanding is not corect. This whole rabbit genetics thing is so complicated