Bladder infection

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, for bladder infections, cranberry juice can be given "just to help". I'm not sure at all though that it does any good.
Penicillin typically is not one the best for a bladder infection,.. SMZ-TMP would be one of the drugs of choice....
Pygmy does have large tract and usually are not subject to stones, although I'm sure it is possible.
Yep, I would take her temp for sure and look for any other signs that she may not be feeling well... they sometimes will cry as the urinate or will have some pain(rolling, and or biting at back),....if it is a bladder infection and she is not treated appropriately it can travel to the kidney,..so be careful...
What does her urine look like?

gibbygoats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My vet thought that Penicillin would be the best choice because it is excreted though the urine???

I'm not sure what SMZ-TMP is. Why would that be better than Penicillin?

I did check her pee and it looked normal, no blood or anything.

About the cranberry juice, how much do you think I should give her?

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Penicillin is not bad(very good drug for other things), just thought to be resistant to these sorts of bacteria,...SMZ-TMP is given orally and reaches the area quicker and hits some of the bacteria that penicillin won't; SMZ also is very easy to administer,..with cystitis and kidney infection, anti-biotic treatments are long(2 weeks +), so often a drug will be prescribed for efficiency and ease of administration. A Shot of penicillin 2 times a day for 2-3 weeks could be stressful....so most would avoid it...
SMZ-TMP is a prescription anti-biotic.
Back when I treated a doe for kidney infection, I gave her around 30cc every 3 days or so of the cranberry juice.... she was 60lbs. I honestly can't say it helped, but I felt better doing it...I bought a pure grade cranberry juice...

I would certainly treat your doe as your vet prescribed,.. if the pen does not work, maybe he would go with a different drug such as SMZ.

Just watch her very closely,...rolling, crying when urinating, blood tinged urine and biting at the back would indicate the infection(if it is cystitis) has traveled...