It's been there for over a month, (maybe more and I didn't notice) growing slowly at first then rapidly and it's hard, not soft. I'm not panicking at all, I've been monitoring her over time, and needed to make a decision soon about what to do. From my initial research, it seemed that lumpy jaw wasn't curable and often recurs, that's why I am considering slaughter.Could be an abscess from a minute cut also or a puncture of a thorn or something while eating...... I would not get too panicky about it and if it should burst, clean out good and keep clean. Since she seems otherwise healthy and is feeding the lamb, I would not be in a rush to just butcher her.
Ok, I might do that. As long as it isn't transmissible. I just hope she doesn't get bad before the lamb is weaning age, that's my only concern. I'll just keep an eye on how she looks and hopefully she'll hold out a couple months more.Just read your reply that she was going to be sold this summer anyway. Unless she has trouble eating, I would not worry about it too much then. Let her raise her lamb, if it is hard, then not much the vet could do for it most likely.... if hard it is unlikely to burst like an infection.
A ewe her size/age would get sold for slaughter and the lump may deflate her price somewhat... but as long as she is not showing any signs of distress, or having trouble eating, and it is hard, she cannot pass it on to any one else. The only time it is something that anyone else can get is contact with her if it bursts and the fluid gets in contact with others.