1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Do you think Pony Rides should be allowed at Fairs? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a scythe!

Discussion in 'Pasture, Hay, & Forages: Information & Management' started by secuono, Oct 25, 2018.

1. May 1, 2019
    Stephine

Stephine Overrun with beasties

AA90114C-4019-4FBB-BC40-5E52EB7A75F8.jpeg Yes, this particular blade in the picture is a fantastic all around grass and weed blade. Inhave cut anything from fine tough short grasses, to lush dense grasses, juicy weeds, tall radishes and thistles to mature grasses with it. It will cut periwinkle and small saplings too. The harder the stuff is the more often you’ll have to peen, but it’s worth it.
    There are way more than two types of blades, from very long grass blades with an edge so thin that it „runs over the nail“ (you can run the back of your thumbnail under it and it bends the edge of the blade) to thick stubby bush blades as you describe. I have a bush blade as well, for saplings and bramble, since I don’t care to ruin my beloved Tops blade with those, but it is a bear to work with.
    It took me 4 years of 3 acres of spring mowing to get down the peening and honing properly, but now mowing is pretty dreamy....

mysunwolf and secuono like this.
  2. May 1, 2019
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

There are 3 based on their website. I forgot which I bought now, but I believe it was the middle one for grass and weeds.

Stephine likes this.
  3. May 1, 2019
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

Are you, by chance, local to me & can come help...?

Stephine likes this.
  4. May 1, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

@goatboy1973 and @Stephine Would you do a tutorial with lots of pictures on how to use a scythe? I have been interested in scythes, but it is a lost art. I sure wish you two would share your wealth of knowledge.

ranchwithaview and Ridgetop like this.
  5. May 1, 2019
    Stephine

Ha! I wish! No, I am in the wine country in CA, Sonoma County... I can answer questions though. A great site is „one scythe revolution“ - lots of info, videos, shop, and Botan is always ready to answer questions.

ranchwithaview and secuono like this.
  6. May 1, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

When I was a young kid, I watched a couple men cutting with them -- hay. It's lovely to watch.

But, at this point, I'm not taking on that kind of work. :lol: Nope. Turn the key -- let 'er rip! :D =D

mysunwolf likes this.
  7. May 1, 2019
    Stephine

I would love to, but am so swamped with rebuilding after the fire on top of everything else! Like I said above, One Scythe Revolution is a great place to learn. You can get an outfit made to your measurements at Scythe Connection. I highly recommend the Tops „Heidi“ blade for a wide range of uses. Then go to Botan at One Scythe for wet stones, anvil and lots of advice and videos. I am always happy to answer questions though!
    It was a bit of a learning curve to keep the blade sharp, but now that I know what I am doing mowing is so fun, it’s kind of hypnotic, like staring at waves or into a fire. It’s quiet and the cut grass and weeds are lying in pretty orderly rows, easy to gather, not chopped into tiny pieces and all over you! And you can be very careful and precise around young trees, rosebushes, etc...
    Anyway, I can highly recommend it!

ranchwithaview, Ridgetop and Baymule like this.
  8. May 1, 2019
    Stephine

PS, you can also look on You Tube for videos - go for the Swiss and Austrians, they know what they‘re doing! :)

mysunwolf and Baymule like this.
  9. May 1, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Thanks for the info @Stephine. I will look into it.

@Mini Horses, I guess I just like old tools. I love my tractor, I love modern conveniences, but I like old tools too.

Mini Horses and Stephine like this.
  10. May 1, 2019
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

I'm getting 4 sheep from Sonoma this summer!

Stephine and Baymule like this.