Brahma cattle

smoothmule

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update: I bought a Gir cow yesterday and should be picking her up tomorrow. I'll post photo's when I have her home. I may have located a yearling Gir bull calf. It will be at least another year before he would be ready to breed but I'm excited to find these two. I've been looking for a while.

smoothmule

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here she is, not settled in yet but she is a quiet cow and would come of to be petted by her previous owner so she'll just have to have some time to figure what's what. She's definitely a Big girl.

557460_3181757057429_1070765760_2882212_1811704108_n.jpg

smoothmule

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here she is with a pretty good sized 3 yr old black bull, my son's friends bull.

532422_3181767257684_1070765760_2882219_1118085125_n.jpg

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Before JHM says something about the horns ( ;) ), I gotta say, those are some neat-looking horns. Those brahmans are so neat, too bad they won't last long up here. And she is certainly a nice looking girl, so glad she's working out great for you! :D

jarvisqh

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi im kinda late at it lol but there is a person not far from where i live who raises the brahmas .. ? they are gorgeous .. i dont know anything about who owns them or what they do with them .. but they all act gentle .. see the ppl in the field calling them up for dinner all the time .. and they put them up in a barn (looks like a stall barn ) ive always been tempted to stop by their and ask them about them because brahmas are my favorite breed .. if i was going to have cows itd be them .. ( im in sw missouri as well is why i brought this up ..) brahmas are the only breed they have in the field and have some gorgeous calves every year .. pm me if you like .. ill see what i can find out for you .. ?

smoothmule

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Jarvisqh,
I've been through Potosi a couple of times, thanks for the offer. I would love to find a colorful bull but neither of my cows are registered so there isn't much point in a bull that is registered or super bred. Babe is like the typical American Brahman type but a grade. She will make some nice calves bred to any good bull for selling at the sale barn but Rose, the new cow, is a flashier unregistered and probably impure Indo-Brazilian type. I wouldn't mind a colorful bull of her general type for both of my cows but since I do only have 2 cows, keeping a bull for them isn't really practical so I'll probably look for a couple more exotic looking cows and then a bull when I have at least 6 cows. I can breed my 2 cows for calves to sell to help buy the next cows or heifers.

Babe's bull calf is growing fast and looking better everyday. My son is planning for us to raise Babe's bull calf here to use on his cows later, they're just mixed cows. They generally keep a couple of bulls for the herd all the time so I'll eventually breed this bull calf to Rose and hope for a nice Brahman "type" heifer to keep, maybe even a couple since they keep the bulls around for a few years. That would leave only a couple more heifers to find. I'll find a good Gir or Indo-Brazilian bull for them when I feel I have enough cows that keeping a bull would make sense.

Here is Babe's calf at a week old. It amazes me how they can grow so fast.

09April2012004.jpg

09April2012BabeCalfWeekOld.jpg

09April2012010.jpg

jarvisqh

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:) thought id offer but since you know where potosi is .. they are on 8 highway between here and stjames .. i think they are still in potosi... but .. may be in berrymen .. its all boondocks out here lol but .. its after the 2 saw mills .. on the right if your coming from potosi .. :)

eta i dont know anything about their stock except the only cows ever in their feild are brahmas.. not sure of what variety or anything never stopped to ask always just stared as i went by .. lol :)