Breathing trouble

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My main doe sounds like a small pig while breathing. Is there anything I can give her for respiratory problems?

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She eats and drinks. Outside in raised cages. I'm currently treating her for ear mites

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was told on here to treat with vegetable oil

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Olive oil and mineral oil work well too..they're thicker than vegetable oil and seem to work faster.
Does she have any discharge from her eyes/nose? Is she sneezing? Lethargic?

A few months ago, one of my lop does had a bad breathing issue that sounds similar to your doe...raspy heavy breathing that sort of sounds like a pig. She had no discharge and no other symptoms and after some research it seemed like the problem was caused by the heat/humidity...apparently when rabbits breathe heavier and faster, they can easily wear out the mucus in their throat and nose and after a while it causes raspy breathing. She had a litter of kits at the time and none of them showed any signs of it so I knew it wasn't contagious.
It took about a month before she started breathing normally again, I put some 'breathe easy' essential oil on the bars of her cage and that helped a lot, and I put some echinacea tea in her water bottle. I hope your doe will be alright.

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds about the same as my doe. It is a lot of tile hot and humid here in central fl. I'll try the things you did

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds about the same as my doe. It is a lot of tile hot and humid here in central fl. I'll try the things you did
Keep her cool, out of the sun and give her frozen water bottles. The essential oil made a world of difference for my doe :highfive:

Latest posts