breeding lionhead and a rex, bad combination?

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
@ Yankee'n'moxie aww! Your rabbit sounds so cute!

@ pinkfox breeding two breeds jut doesnt sound all that complicated to me is why. Just as you have, ive endulged many many hours into reading and researching so i know a good deal of what to do and "no no's" i know its not the same as actually experiencing it, but still, its pretty close. I dont intend on getting that deeply involved in rabbits as to go to competitions and achieve the "perfect" rabbit type. Rather just maybe have a few litters for fun and sell the kits. If it works out well maybe keep breeding here and there and sell them for some extra cash, and ill just be selling the kits to the kids don the street or the aunt buying a pet for her neices birthday. Average people who wont expet this perfect show rabbit, so i should be ok.

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Aww theyre so cute!! Thank you : )

PinkFox

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
breeding different breeds together to get mutts ISNT difficult if your only goal is to put 2 rabbits together and get baby rabbits...

However if your trying to breed for certain traits, it can be exceedingly difficult, hence trying to figure out why youd want to breed mixes...
mixed breed bunnies are a dime a dozen, people can barely GIVE them away around here so unless your breeding for specific traits (or are willing to keep/eat the ones that dont find homes) i guess i just dont see the point...
it wont do the babies any harm any more than breeding a black rabbit to a white rabbit would (unless theres a big size difference between the male and female)
but its also not going to give you bunnies with a rex coat OR a good lionhead mane, so theyd jus tlook like eveyr other mixed bred bunny...

nothing wrong with that assuming youve got a plan for any that dont sell...

Reaction score
I have a female 1 year old lion head I got not too long ago from someone who had to move and couldn't keep her.. Anyways, I also have two male buck rabbits as well- one of which is a mini Rex and the other is a harlequin cross both are still under a year old right now and live with each other, my doe lives separately. I've been debating on breeding the lion head to my mini Rex or not. Just stumbled upon this forum, and thought I would check it out. After reading some of your replies I have decided to breed them together this spring! But just a quick question, since my bucks live together and I take the mini Rex out for however long to mate with Paisley(lionhead female) and then put him back with the the buck, will he smell her on him ad try to fight? Anyone had problems with that? Also, how long should I have my mini Rex live with the lionhead to make a successful mate? This is my first time breeding so just wondering. Thanks!

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have only been raising rabbits for a year but this is what Storey's Guide to Raising rabbits has to say about this:
It has been reported that the female rabbit has no cycle and is fertile 365 days a year. It has also been reported that the female rabbit is fertile for 12 days, followed by 2 to 4 days during which she will not conceive, followed by another dozen days when she will. Either way, cycle or no a doe will conceive most of the time. It is known that the doe rabbit's eggs descend for fertilization upon sexual stimulation: in other words, after service. This process takes 8 to 10 hours, at which time the eggs meet the sperm and conception takes place.

He also goes on to say that you shouldn't leave your buck and doe together unattended as they may fight (which definitely can happen). He recommends bringing the doe to the bucks cage and waiting until there are 2 successful matings and removing the doe. Coming back 8 to 10 hours later and repeating the process. From my own experience rabbits sometimes don't want to cooperate with my plans for breeding them and I reached a point with one of my does where I violated this advice. She would run around the cage and hunker down and flatly refuse to have anything to do with him. I think I set out there for 2 hours in the morning waiting for 2 successful matings and that evening after an hour and a half I just left them together and went to bed. I should add that she was not attacking the buck to fend him off so I hoped for the best. The nest morning I put her back in her cage and 31 days later had a litter.

As for your first question about the 2 bucks fighting, I have no experience with that situation so hopefully someone else can answer that question for you. Good luck,

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've only been breeding rabbits since last spring, so I'm still a novice. But you said something that did concern me. You mentioned bringing the buck to the doe's cage. The females are pretty territorial. Everything I have read has said not to do that, but to bring the doe to the buck's cage. I had taken some kits out of a cage once while weaning the mother. A week or two later I was working on the cage the kits were in and I grabbed one and put it temporarily with the mother in her cage. I can't remember what I was doing but I was focused more on the kit's cage when I heard a ruckus in the doe's cage. I looked up and saw the doe chasing the kit, and the look in her eyes told me to get that kit out then, or he was going to be killed. I've since learned NOT to put any rabbit into a doe's cage, other than the doe herself. (This does not include the young kits, as they are born in the cage and stay there until weaned). I would, though, make sure that only the buck you wanted to breed her with is in the cage when you put her in with him.

BUNNIES101

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I just mated my lion mane and mini Rex rabbits. In return, we recieved 4 beutiful babies, that all received the mini Rex' a coat, but they all have different body shapes. Two are bigger like the mother lion head. One is exactly like the mini Rex dad, and the other one is the runt, so he is tiny, with really thin fur. So cute!

BUNNIES101

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I've only been breeding rabbits since last spring, so I'm still a novice. But you said something that did concern me. You mentioned bringing the buck to the doe's cage. The females are pretty territorial. Everything I have read has said not to do that, but to bring the doe to the buck's cage. I had taken some kits out of a cage once while weaning the mother. A week or two later I was working on the cage the kits were in and I grabbed one and put it temporarily with the mother in her cage. I can't remember what I was doing but I was focused more on the kit's cage when I heard a ruckus in the doe's cage. I looked up and saw the doe chasing the kit, and the look in her eyes told me to get that kit out then, or he was going to be killed. I've since learned NOT to put any rabbit into a doe's cage, other than the doe herself. (This does not include the young kits, as they are born in the cage and stay there until weaned). I would, though, make sure that only the buck you wanted to breed her with is in the cage when you put her in with him.
Yes. When I was mating my rabbit for the 1st time, we put the buck in the doe's cage, immediately, the Dow started tackling the buck. I removed home and tried out in the open on our floor, and they succsesfully mated