breeding question

FRED DESANTIS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have two does and one buck. Could I breed a buck from one of the does to a doe from the other doe. They would both have the same father but different mother's.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Fred, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. I hope you'll consider taking a minute to visit the new member's thread and introduce yourself so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/ We have another Fred here, @CntryBoy777 So I hope there's no confusion brewing... :fl You can do what you're asking. It's considered a part of line breeding where you breed father/daughter, mother/son, or siblings. It's generally recommended to not breed siblings but the first two are done routinely. It's not good to do over many generations as you can run into genetic problems. Is the present buck related to the present does? It's virtually never an issue if you are breeding them as terminal animals... they'll be for slaughter.

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello fred, welcome to the best site ever....i joined a week ago today . Was in crisis situation with a doe...the folks not only gave me the best advice, they held me up when i was ready to fall....you can find the best information here and the coolest people ever...love BYH.com