Broody hen...

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
As for outside brooder...I had them in our house/barn...with some heat...but we got 4” of snow last night so hubby brought them back in!! Ugh!! Last year it was the opposite!, I like your broody idea with the hen...I think I’ll do it tomorrow. I can either close off an addition to the coop for sick birds etc. it’s 4’x 11’. Or I could put her in a large dog crate...what would you do? Should I put her in the quiet? Great info..thanks @Beekissed !!

Whatever nest you make for her, move her to it at night and keep a towel over it for a few days so that she doesn't get off the nest and pace, wanting to go back to her old nest. The dog crate is an excellent idea so that you can cover it completely so she sits quietly there. I'd use the dog crate inside the coop if you can't close the coop up and make it dark inside for a few days. If you don't want to use the crate inside the coop, just poke some vent holes in a cardboard box and put it down over her nest...and put a wt. on it, or she can and will get out of there and pace to go back to her old nest. Don't worry about her not eating or drinking for a few days...she won't need to. Hens will usually not get off the nest for the first 3-4 days of a sit and then the last 3-4 days of the 21 day brood, she also may not get off the nest.

Don't try and make her leave the nest to eat and drink...a lot of folks do that and it's simply not needed. She knows when to do it for herself, so just keep feed and water available for when she does. Don't be alarmed about her poop...it will be HUGE, black and tarry looking and that's completely normal. May stink more than normal also. Just cover it or scoop it out of there if you want.

I've found the least I disturb a broody, especially when the chicks are actually hatching, the more successfully it all goes down.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, this all sounds great to me...I want to do it, Chris just said we have enough chickens...55. So, we’ll see...is she laying eggs in our rollaways nest boxes? Since they can’t stay under her...does that change the situation?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, this all sounds great to me...I want to do it, Chris just said we have enough chickens...55. So, we’ll see...is she laying eggs in our rollaways nest boxes? Since they can’t stay under her...does that change the situation?
If she's broody, she's no longer laying eggs....once they reach the state wherein they are sitting all the time on the nest, they have stopped laying altogether.

That IS quite a few chickens already....it may just be easier for you if you just put her in a broody breaking space and break her of it. Should take a few days and even up to a week. You'll be getting more broodies most likely during this month and the next, so just be prepared to break them promptly as you identify them.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stinks beca she’s a really good layer...I’ll get her in a box today....we have so many chickens because of the demand for my eggs. I sell to a baker, a store and a restaurant regularly. Then I have some customers who want 4dz every two weeks. This was before the Covid. Now I’m all sold out of eggs constantly and have to have people call ahead before coming out. We put them in the garage fridge...honor system. We haven’t touched the money box. No need.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so I put the chicken in a rabbit coop. Tons of fresh airflow underneath he4 bottom. Today..there was an egg!! Now I’m really stumped!? So, is she done with being broody, or was I wrong, and she just liked to sleep in there? Chris thinks it’s cruel wha5 I’m doin* to her...ugh

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so I put the chicken in a rabbit coop. Tons of fresh airflow underneath he4 bottom. Today..there was an egg!! Now I’m really stumped!? So, is she done with being broody, or was I wrong, and she just liked to sleep in there? Chris thinks it’s cruel wha5 I’m doin* to her...ugh

Could be she's merely contemplating broodiness~hormones moving in that direction~ and building her clutch, so still laying. When her hormones reach a certain level, the eggs will stop and she will sit for good.....you are doing the right thing, it's not cruel at all and just keep at it. Remove her egg each day and keep her cool in that cage.

Latest posts