Bruce's Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank God that my chemical issues don't trigger migraines, but I can't stand perfumes or chemical smells. I pray that she is able to conquer her problems and live a better life.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found an egg from Veronica in the community box this morning. There was another dark egg in there late this afternoon. I think that means Betty is FINALLY laying. Guess I'll have just the 4 to carry through the winter since the Exchequer Leghorns started, then quit.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Guess it's been a (long) while. Not much excitement here.

I put up a second hay feeder in the alpacas' area last week so they wouldn't have to tussle for position. Already had it, came with the barn.

Forgot to take water down with me this morning. NO WORRIES! I had left a couple of "cat litter jerry cans" in the barn. Moved the small piece of plywood (*) from in front of the cardboard flap in front of the foam plug in the "winter water" insulation box. Pulled out the hose, filled the container. That foam box is pretty important. I was concerned the hose might be pretty stiff from the cold but the heat leakage through the plastic barrel trapped by the 2" foam box keeps it quite pliable.

Thanks for the great idea @CntryBoy777 !

* which keeps the chickens from getting to the foam

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad things are working out well so far with the system that you built and ya should get that credit and pat-on-the-back. How is the deck/porch working out?....getting slick?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't know! No reason to go out back in the winter. I guess I could go out to the barn that way (*) instead of through the enclosed porch on the front of the house. But DW would kill me for tromping snow through the bathroom on my way back in.

* if I had already built stairs on the north end

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not much excitement here. Worst of the really cold weather has gone and it is supposed to be above freezing, and raining :(, tomorrow. That should make for some interesting lack of traction.

2 years ago we had a new Eastern Cottontail added to the property about every 3 weeks. Plenty of bunnies around. Last year, not ONE bunny anywhere. I started seeing rabbit tracks in the snow a few weeks ago so I decided to see if I could make sure this one is healthy enough to be around in warmer times (assuming no predator gets it). I made a sort of an A frame with 2 pieces of plywood outside between the barns where the rabbit tracks came through the cattle panel and put a metal bowl/dish with some rabbit food from the grocery store in it. Next day BIG pile of bunny poop and food gone so I've been continuing that. Today I got 2 bag of layer and went looking for rabbit food. Lots of choices. The girl wanted to know if I needed bulk. Nope, only have the 1 wild rabbit as far as I know. In the end, I got two 25# bags of rabbit food that was expired. All of $2/bag. Surely I don't need that much but who can pass up a deal? The 4# bags on the shelf were something like $8-$9 each. I doubt the rabbit will care about the expiration date, perhaps it will tell its friends about the new restaurant.

I have determined something I would not have expected. I put a pile of brussel sprout leaves (from prep before cooking) in the bowl and some iceberg lettuce leaves that were a bit wilty. The sprout leaves disappeared, the lettuce did not. Yesterday I put out some more sprout leaves. They were gone this morning and the lettuce had been dragged out of the bowl and left on the side of the rabbit trail. I guess they know what has food value and what doesn't!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, if the A frame is inside the fence, then ya could provide a safehaven for them, but if ya are going to attempt a garden of sorts ya may be just growing a banquet table. It would be interesting to dicker with to see what transpires....:)
Ya may want to take advantage of the temps and replace any water used out of your barrel. Are ya still getting some eggs?
Ours dropped here with the days of below freezing temps...but still getting 3 khaki eggs a day....I saw some wing feathers on the ground today, so 1 has probably quit to finish her molt. Ya can't beat the price on the rabbit feed and sure they won't say anything.....:)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The "rabbit feeding station" is between the 2 barns, between the two "balloons". The garden is at the bottom, with the old pool cover (in this picture). Not that the rabbits don't go down there too but there is a fence around it. There were rabbit prints ON the pool (partially visible on the right) last week.
Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 7.35.08 PM.png

I haven't used much water from the barrel yet, probably 4 gallons. Not really worth the trouble to open up all the insulation and cardboard to replace that. Of course that does suggest an engineering change: the ability to refill without a lot of dismantling.

Trill (Barnevelder hatched in April) has been laying 3-4 a week. She's the only one of the 6 that didn't quit :he Yue (5.5 Y/O Ancona started up this past week. 1 under the roost cracked and frozen, 1 in the nest, 1 under the roost cracked and frozen and with a thin shell hole on the pointy end, 1 in the nest, shell looks OK. Not sure what is going on with her shell gland, she laid only really thin shelled eggs last year. Figured that would be what I got for the rest of her life. Now I'm not sure.

What are you doing with all those eggs since you said you can't even give them away?? I bet Gabbie is enjoying some of them.

Latest posts