Bruce's Journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bentonite is a type of clay. It is used to seal the bottom of the pool, pond, etc. It is also used as a binder in some feed and will bind toxins when used in feed formulations. It actually can be used in some formulas, to help "bind" up a calf that has scours. It just basically slows down the progress of the manure through their system....think of flour thickening gravy, it will thicken the manure and keep it from "shooting out the back end" when a calf has a bad case of scours. That helps to retain fluids longer, which stops dehydration, which helps to keep the calf from getting too weak, which gives you a chance to maybe get the cause of the scours under control.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Big excitement today, changed the oil and filter in the Garden Tractor, new air and fuel filter. I don't think I ever got around to changing the summer oil for winter last year and it was pretty dark. Hopefully it will start more happily this winter.

It was harder than it sounds, the stupid Sears site can't find ANY of the part numbers on the sticker under the hood even though the machine is only 4 years old. Found parts that looked likely at Lowes. 3 were Briggs & Stratton (my engine) but though they had about 6 different B&S air filters none were the size or shape of mine. They did have one in Deere packaging. What do you bet the Deere garden tractors have B&S engines?

I put the chains on the GT Sunday. Well mostly, I got the left side one on in the tightest chain link position, having trouble (nothing new here) getting the right side to the 2nd link (of 3) so I still need to get that one link tighter (somehow). One of the cross chains was still floppy which seemed odd. I started counting links, EVERY cross chain on both sets except that one have 11 links, that one has 12. Of course I have never noticed this before but I have heard it flopping. Someone/some machine screwed up making it. I had a really thick/wide zip tie (came holding down either the splitter I returned or the flail to the shipping pallet) so I connected link 11 to the fitting that connects to the side chain. No way I could open it up and put link 11 in place.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @Baymule,

I bet you could do as Mr Greybeard recommended to me to stop my pond from leaking and use Bentonite (I think that is what he called it) to retain the water. I'll look it up on my journal if you wish.

Senile Texas Aggie
A pond is not high on the list right now. There are several companies around here that have the bentonite, it seals ponds right up. The old fashioned way to seal a pond is to use hogs as it fills. Their wallowing seals the pond. Crazy, huh?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would think the "soil" makeup would make a big difference on whether hogs rooting would or would not cause it to seal. That sand you, @B&B Happy goats and @CntryBoy777 have doesn't seem like it would hold water no matter how much they "kneaded" it.
You would be very surprised how much water is being held in the sand in our county this time of year.....

Latest posts