Bruce's Journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would like to hit maintenance mode, but we aren't there yet.

We found it a whole lot easier when we quit trying to use shelters for the sheep, We have them available as you saw but we let them do their thing out in the pastures. I still have a lot of work to do but it's on my schedule.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not too much excitement around here. I thought it was cold enough to go up the trail into the woods to get the limbs from the trees I cut a few weeks back. These were small enough that I could drag them by hand into a pile at the edge of the trail. Ran through open water between the cistern in the field and the natural wetland 100' north of it. Then I got to the woods and drove the tractor up the trail. Squishy with water running down the track even though it was below freezing :he It took several attempts at chaining them all together and dragging, rechaining and dragging, etc before I got them out to the field. I didn't want to make multiple trips up the soggy rutted trail. I then got them all on the forks and took them back to the pile by the barn. Given the squishy conditions I didn't go back down to cut and retrieve the big pieces that I left in the field when I cut the trees down. I did cut the 2 trees I had dragged up before down to 8' lengths and stick them in the pile.

6" of snow expected tomorrow then lows below 0°F Friday and Saturday. High Sunday just below freezing at 10 AM then a steady drop Monday to a low of 1°F Tuesday at 7AM. I guess winter is here, unfortunately even if all that cold freezes the ground out in the fields, the snow will make it so I can't run the tractor down there. No chains. I'm sure I could make it down, coming back up the hill is the question.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had temps in the 70's today. We are running the air conditioner! Last January 16, we got 3" of show!
Hey, it is January 16th and WE have 3" of snow!! Maybe 3 more coming today and 3 more Sat/Sun. Given the temps the next 6 days (at least), isn't going anywhere other than where I push it. Other than to the barn, I'm not going anywhere either. Unfortunately for DW and DD2, they have to go to work. Glad the commute to my "work" is only 100'.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today is January 16 and while raining, high today is in the 50's. January is weirdly warm, but we still have February, it might get colder. We'll have to put away the shorts, flip flops and T-shirts for a few weeks. :D =D

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today is January 16 and while raining, high today is in the 50's. January is weirdly warm, but we still have February, it might get colder. We'll have to put away the shorts, flip flops and T-shirts for a few weeks. :D =D

Get out your winter wear! Toe socks, long sleeved T's and a hoody for those really cold days! Lol.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
the wet articles are draped over barstools.
Had too much of Grandma Wall's full strength eggnog??

January has been weirdly warm here too, it usually never goes above freezing in January and the first 3 weeks of February except for the approximately 24 hour "January thaw". That, of course, is the high for the day, average low is around 10°F. Of course that is the AVERAGE and sub 0°F temperatures are quite common in Jan and Feb.