Bruce's Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got one of those for XMas 2020. First use was putting the trim up on the bathroom window. Sure would have been nice if I had it 25 years ago when I did the trim on the other house. Every piece was pre-drilled for finish nails. Never a good idea to put those into hardwood, especially near the ends, without pre-drilling.
I hear you! I installed all the oak molding and baseboards in this house with pre-drilled pilot holes and finish nails. Exhausting! Some years later we went to my mother's house in Washington, and I laid 2 bathroom floors for her and redid all the trim. DH bought me the 18 gauge brad nailer for my birthday while we were there. What a difference! Have used it on all our renovations, for furniture repair, cabinets, paneling, etc. The newer 16 gauge air compressor brad nailer was bought because we were doing so many apartments and I had to use such long extension cords. The air compressor powered gun is faster when doing whole house jobs, but I still love my little Craftsman electric nailer, particularly for small jobs and repairs.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Internet has been really sucky today. The internal installation of the fiber optic line is supposed to go in Wednesday afternoon. I can't wait to have decent speed, reliable internet!

DW has to go in early tomorrow, as always on a day after a holiday. Planning to leave at 5:45!!!!!! Crazy

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @Bruce,

You haven't posted on your journal in a couple of weeks, so I am wondering how you are doing.

Are you prepared for the big storm that will be hitting your area (as well as mine) in the new few days? I hope you have plenty of firewood ready and stacked near your door.

Senile Texas Aggie

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doing fine. Yep plenty of wood on the porch. We are expecting 10" overnight. I started the garden "tractor" and the real tractor and let them run for a bit today. Assuming there are no issues with the GT, it and the blower on the front will be moving the snow. I'll have to get up early tomorrow so DW can get out to the road and go to work ... assuming the road is plowed or there have been some earlier high clearance vehicles on the road to pack the snow down. She wants to leave at 6:15.

DW's aunt died Tuesday morning. Always sad but given she was living independently until almost 103 (turned 104 in Nov) and never had a chronic "makes life miserable" problem, she had a good life. Never married and when most women were secretaries or teachers, she worked in the "man's world" as a chemist.

Went yesterday to get 2 dressers, 2 bookcases and a nightstand from her room at the Assisted Living facility. Thankfully one of DW's cousin's DH generously drove up from 1.5 hours south with his truck to help bring the stuff to my house another 45 minutes north. The dressers are DD2's for when she moves out ..... whenever that is. The way things are going, DW and I will be in a retirement community and DD2 will still be here.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Condolences for your wife's aunt but she lived a good long life.

Hope you all do all right in the snow. We are only getting rain and it has continued to warm up ... up to 53 now... snow should mostly all be gone tomorrow, but the rain has made it soggy on top with the ground frozen underneath. Still better than a foot of snow....