Bruce's Journal

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a video of the swallows dive bombing us... kids were afraid to do chores for a while this spring.... :rolleyes: I will see if I can upload it.
Nope. In fact the barn swallows that make their nest in the barn alley just can't understand I'm not going to hurt them, they fly out any time I go in. I really have no choice but to go near the nest since it is on the floor joist right in front of the stall coop, not 6 ' away. I've never gone real close to the tree swallows in the birdhouse on the post out by the pond though. Don't know if they would dive bomb me as a threat.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can keep it, no offense @Bruce. I sure don't want it.... and with trying to get things somewhat on a "plan of attack" for getting feeding and such done, I definitely doubly don't want it. Don't even want this unseasonable cold after the much more normal of low 60's a couple days ago. Weather is WAY TOO volatile... and unpredictable.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I have a number of birds that think they should be roosting in the feed room or on the alpaca stand. Only 3 tonight, 6 last night. USUALLY it is the pullets though 2 of the 1.5 year olds have done it of late as well.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have one free range chicken that refuses to go back in the coop, is uncatchable due to her ability to pop through cow panels, while I must go around, so I let her be. She roosts in the round bale and leaves poop, that doesn't make me happy, but oh well. Other chickens know where home is, she is a maverick. I have to admire that about her. When I feed Sentry the puppy, she hangs around waiting for him to walk away, then she darts in for a bite or 2 or 3. He pounces at her, never on her, she moves away. Rinse and repeat. It is like watching bumbling puppy and hen ballet.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Al at Lumnah Acres (YouTube) had one of those hens. She was named Crazy White Chicken, CWC. She'd be most anywhere when he came out each morning, not in the coop, not within the electronet, maybe in with the 2 pigs. Sadly, but not surprisingly, a predator got her. Based on the evidence, my guess is fox.

At least if no one remembers to go out and move the stupid birds into the coop (only 1 last night), they are at least in the barn though still at risk given the alpacas' always open door.

Working on putting cedar lining in the small (like 24" square!) closet in our bedroom. It was intentionally not drywalled and I had to put in some nailing surfaces. Got the ceiling done and the top two pieces of the back wall. All had to be coped to the beam (debarked tree) that is a joist for the floor above. The rest of the back wall will be easy, bunch of 22" boards. The top board on the right side also hits the beam so it will take additional work.

Expecting freezing rain and sleet mid-day tomorrow into Tuesday. NOT looking forward to that. :sick Temp running just below freezing the entire time.