Bruce's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ice doesn't plow. On the parking area I use ashes from the wood stove and sand if I have it. Freezing rain is a wee bit more tolerable if there is snow on the ground since it tends not to form a solid flat slick surface ... at least if there isn't too much of it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aw, @Bruce, you getting freezing rain too? I hope you can figure out how to not go out.
Gotta go out! Have an appt with the Bowen massage lady at noon and need to do some grocery shopping to fill the shelves/fridge for DW and DD2 - I'm leaving Wed noonish for a visit with family in So. Cal.. Freezing rain doesn't (supposedly) start until around 1 and then only a 14% chance. Of course things can change since last night they were expecting freezing rain starting tomorrow around 5 AM.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK -- I'm late to the party but have to comment anyway. The backhoe guy, Mike...had some valid points BUT -- I am like Bruce. Nothing close to rent, lot of hauling or expense to have hauled (which rental prefer!), no one near with such equipment.
I keep mine covered and take it off and on by myself!!!! I do place cinderblocks and a slice of wood under the frame to keep it up as it does leak down. Mine works like Bruce explained. No PTO only hydraulic lines.

I don't have a pond but moved here with a lot of OLD mini horses. Dug a few by hand, checked prices to hire out, BOUGHT that hoe!! I can dig & refill without needing Absorbine Jr that night. :old Dug my last one by hand at 69.

I have NO issues getting off & on to use it. It can and will dig a hole for a big horse (small ones, too). Ditches, ponds, etc. BUT that is far from the only use it has. I've used mine when fencing & repairing fence....FEL goes up & down, this hoe can go up & over, front to back, right to left plus up & down. You can hook fence onto it (I use boards & rope), then adjust as needed. Of course this is once you have laid it out the length you need and are at adjusting & hooking. I've lifted and moved right & left without moving equipment-- boxes, feeders, whatever. It just takes thinking it out. For me, I love mine! Plus, it is easier to take off & on than the bushhog! Putting on takes a few more minutes as you DO have to line up...otherwise pretty simple.

AND -- pigs will seal a pond! It's amazing. Like a Beaver makes a dam It's just something they know how to perfect.

Bruce, hope you have a safe trip and a great visit!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Perfect example of @Mini Horses needing and using her backhoe attachment and @Mike CHS having much more limited use for one therefore the easier to hire the neighbor and there are other perks for doing so. That is what is so great about sharing ideas and such, everyone gets to hear different pros and cons for different situations.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have a safe trip, don't hang around with too many of the radicals out in Ca..... you ought to go visit @babsbag.....
As she said, she is WAY up north of where I am going. My oldest cousin lives 10 miles north of her in Redding, there is potential they met when she went to the ER. Of course I don't know what her work schedule is.

Thanks for the safe travel wishes all!