Brush for sheep

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What's the best brush for a katahdin /dorper sheep, has some light wool but he sheds so I'm trying to help. I've been using a horse body brush on him

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use a dog brush, regular hair brush and horse curry comb, the saw tooth metal kind.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
😁 No sheep. My goats are all slick haired. Spent yrs brushing mini horses...not doing more of that! Will say, horse hair comes off easier than sheep!!! On a mini a thick winter coat comes off in chunks, handsful!!!! Sheep seem to want to keep theirs. When a horse rolls. You find hair everywhere....when shedding winter coats.

I've found some lovely hair lined bird nests. 😍

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve found a couple of carefully woven tail hair nests. Birds are so resourceful.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What's the best brush for a katahdin /dorper sheep, has some light wool but he sheds so I'm trying to help. I've been using a horse body brush on him
I use a horse's Shedding Blade on mine. Takes several days' doing each one after they eat their bucket of grain - while they're tethered away from each other. In Spring, after the winter-wool gets matted into a blanket - I work it loose from the edges with the shedding blade. Sometimes I have to pull a clump that's loose from the skin, but sticking to the new hair underneath. None of them like that, but they feel a lot better after it's all off.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Metal comb works to get under and pull out the old wool.

41BtqSqqNpL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many of my White Dorpers shed clean or have so few tufts of wool left by now that I don't bother to brush them. I wouod probably just use a shearing blade and cut off the wool if it bothered me I don;t mind the "Mohawks" because here in southern California I feel it protects their backs from the hot desert sun.

Also I have between 30 and 40 sheep so no time to brush them. LOL Although we had to catch one of them yesterday and DS1 grabbed a handful of fleece which just fell off in his hand. As Snowflake ran off triumphantly he said that was the drawback to shedding sheep as opposed to wool sheep.
:lol: