Building my first pig pen...

JakefromOhio

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You know, it's a bit more expensive per foot, but you CAN get rolls of the woven wire fencing in shorter lengths at like Walmart. They have a variety of 50' length WW fencing for between $35 and $60 depending on brand and a bunch of other stuff...

I never thought to check walmart. I usually try to avoid the place :ep Probably worth a look if it'll save me a couple bucks.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have 8 acres and are fencing the whole place, cross fences and all, in non climb horse wire. The holes are 2"x4" and it even keeps the chickens in. You have 5 acres......surely you want it fenced! You might get goats or sheep or just let the chickens free range.

JakefromOhio

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Baymule I'd love to fence the whole place and fill it livestock. but... I'd have to build a mighty fine shelter for the animals because I think the wife would have me sleeping outside with them. my "next door neighbor" has the exact same lot and she has it completely fenced with cross fencing and has mini horses, donkeys, sheep, a whole giant herd of goats, regular horses and possibly a few other critters running around over there. I think i'll stick with raising a few for food and enjoy looking at hers without all the responsibility :woot (I am planning to offer her free stall shoveling in return for manure for my giant sized garden next year though...)

JakefromOhio

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
of course there is a bank behind the house that's completely overgrown with scrub brush that i'd just looooove to have cleared. I bet a couple of goats would have a field day in there.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You aren't Noah and his Ark, so don't overload your 5 acres or yourself. I wanted sheep because they are small livestock, reproduce in 5 months gestation period and lambs are ready to eat WAY before a calf would be. So, we got sheep. I already had horses, but I did trade one of them for hay. So now I have 2 horses and 1 mule. I have 4 ewes, 1 ram, 5 weaned lambs, 2 that I will keep for breeding and 3 to go to slaughter. I have chickens and 4 dogs. 2 of the dogs are Great Pyrenees and stay with the sheep. If you keep control of the number of animals, there is no reason why you can't enjoy livestock.

I will probably raise pigs again this fall, but I don't think I would want a breeding herd of pigs. I want to focus on my chickens and sheep. You need to figure out what you want to focus on and not overload yourself. Too many animals, then you can't truly enjoy them. It is good that you are raising pigs, this will give you experience and help you decide if you want to raise feeder pigs a few months out of the year, or if you want to raise your own piglets to sell. There are so many options!

Just build the very best fence you can afford. Even if you have to put it up one roll at a time, put up the best fence that suits your needs. You won't be sorry. Good luck to you and your farm!

JakefromOhio

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! any other animals will be in the future a few years. for now it's pigs and chickens. Like you said it's 5 acres. I like room to stretch and I do enjoy a nice big lawn so it'll never get too carried away.

anyway, I'm hoping to be off early tomorrow after a week of 14 hour days so i'm planning a trip to tractor supply and another local farm and ranch supply to make my choice. I've put some money back for this so i'm trying to not let it be too much of a factor and want to just pick whatever looks like it'll keep me from chasing piglets all over creation. With any luck i'll be ready for pigs by monday!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Like you said it's 5 acres. I like room to stretch and I do enjoy a nice big lawn so it'll never get too carried away.

I believe your avatar may be some indication of your statement? Very nice view, and I'll bet quite relaxing. I remember all to well those long work days and don't miss them in the slightest.

JakefromOhio

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Latestarter yep, that's the front yard down to those trees and there's a pond down there. It was about 3 or 4 years overgrown when we moved in but i got it to where i can mow it now with two weeks worth of vacation and much sweat (tractor and a brush hog would have been nice.). overlooks the neighbors farm. awesome view. one of the big selling points for us. Coming from 6 years in downtown Norfolk with the Navy it feels like a giant plot of land to us!

[QUOTE="I remember all to well those long work days and don't miss them in the slightest.[/QUOTE]

Yes... I don't enjoy them at all. hopefully in a few years we'll have things the way we want them and i'll be able to start turning down some of this overtime. But for now it allows my wife to be a stay at home Mommy so i'll suck it up.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know, it's a bit more expensive per foot, but you CAN get rolls of the woven wire fencing in shorter lengths at like Walmart. They have a variety of 50' length WW fencing for between $35 and $60 depending on brand and a bunch of other stuff...

We did try walmart for shorter lengths as well but the only woven they had at the locals 2 walmarts to us was much thinner then the red brand we went with...i think its ment more for like keeping rabbits or deer out of your garden or maybe a pet fence or something.

If they did have it i dont think i would pay $60 for 50' of fence personally, not when i could get 330ft for $150....same reason i refuse to buy the tiny rolls of hardware cloth. Personal preference again though...let us know what you finally decide on.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With cheap fence you will be replacing it in short order, so you will build it now and again later. Also, pasturing pigs sounds just great, however have you seen just a few hogs spend a night rooting a field in Texas ? You will need a tractor with a scrape bucket on it's back to fill in the holes. And the cost ? :th When looking to buy a fence, look for the most heavy wire that is available, then the tallest ( 5 foot tall ). This will not only keep the wire from being streatched out of shape ( thin wire is the worst for sagging and streatching) by your animal rubbing it's itchy spot and the tall fence will help to keep the neighborhood running/ dumped dogs out. A couple of strands of electric wire on the inside of the fence as well as a quality charger is always recommended too to give longevity for your fences. The heavy type of corner fence post as well as it's construction will greatly help in keeping the fence from sagging and keep it tight. The field fence posts should be no more than 8feet apart. Gates are always best when they are very sturdy with heavy posts to support them. You are probably looking to buy the fence for pigs, but you never know what the future animals you may have later on, so it is best to buy the best fence now to accomodate future needs too. To keep just a couple feeder pigs in now, look into hog or cattle pannels and just build a small enclosure for them and add electric wire to keep them away from the panels.

Last edited: