Butchering pigs

AlaynaMayGoatLady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here are some pictures from our first home butchering: http://mychickenscraps.blogspot.com/2015/03/this-big-piggy-stayed-home-butchering.html
We did hang the meat overnight because it was a very chilly day/ night in February, so we got away with it (even though we are in N. Central FL!) But I don't think you need to worry about hanging it for two days. If/ when we raise another pig, we will likely take it to our cousin's place... they have a huge walk-in cooler. :)

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
For deer I have seen folks kinda gut out a fridge and hang the carcass where they can control the temps. Sometimes here in IN Fall hunting stays too warm.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nother question. One of my relatives (one of the more crazy ones) told me that the way they used to cure pigs when she was young was to dig a 3 ft hole, line it with metal (tin roofing would do) pour coal in it and lite it. As you let the coal simmer like you would for a cookout you take a blanket that you have had dialing in a solution of your own choice (for taste), wrap the pig in said blanket (pigs in a blanket) and toss it in the now simmering coals. Bury all with the dirt and let sit for 3 days or so. Unbury and you have a cured pig.

Has anyone ever heard anything like this?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nother question. One of my relatives (one of the more crazy ones) told me that the way they used to cure pigs when she was young was to dig a 3 ft hole, line it with metal (tin roofing would do) pour coal in it and lite it. As you let the coal simmer like you would for a cookout you take a blanket that you have had dialing in a solution of your own choice (for taste), wrap the pig in said blanket (pigs in a blanket) and toss it in the now simmering coals. Bury all with the dirt and let sit for 3 days or so. Unbury and you have a cured pig.

Has anyone ever heard anything like this?
WOW! :ep To me, that sounds like a sure fire way to wind up with a rotten and dirty pile of stinky meat! :thumbsup Not to mention the hot metal will turn loose of some Dee-licious toxins. Yup she sounds crazy to me. Every family has one......Maybe all that hot tin galvanize molecules lodged in her brain... I really should shut up :duc

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What you described with some subtle changes is a "buried pit barbecue". You won't be "curing" the pig, you'll be cooking it (for the first 6-10 hours) and any time after that will be just wasted time and drying it out. I also would NOT use coal as I wouldn't want my meat to taste like petroleum... Charcoal, yes. I also wouldn't recommend galvanized roofing tin... Most folks build a pit fire, then add large rocks to collect and hold the heat and when down to coals, they add moist material, then the meat, then more moist material then cover/bury.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I'll just end up smoking the pig little by little.i don't want to cook the entire thing. I mean, with 10 mouths here we can put a serious hurting on some food but even that may be a but too much lol

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back in the day most that raised hogs had lots of salt on hand and a smokehouse. Lots of salt for curing and low heat with lots of good wood smoke. Even cuts not smoked went into a salt barrel for curing.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Back in the day most that raised hogs had lots of salt on hand and a smokehouse. Lots of salt for curing and low heat with lots of good wood smoke. Even cuts not smoked went into a salt barrel for curing.
I'm still in the process....erm... Very beginning process... Of making a smoker to attach to my wood stove in the garage. I say very beginning process cause it's still all in my head... Along with that money I'll need. Really trying to get that money to not just be imaginary.

In the meantime I'll use my little electric smoker and just do a shoulder at a time.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I understand a good curing salt has sugar in it too. I don't know the percentages, but sugar can cure as well as salt, but obviously the taste would be very different. Can you imagine ham or bacon not being salty? I have the big charcoal grill with Texas side smoke box. It smokes meat to cook it, but doesn't cure it. Haven't really tried I guess.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I understand a good curing salt has sugar in it too. I don't know the percentages, but sugar can cure as well as salt, but obviously the taste would be very different. Can you imagine ham or bacon not being salty? I have the big charcoal grill with Texas side smoke box. It smokes meat to cook it, but doesn't cure it. Haven't really tried I guess.
Not sure I'd be a fan of Sugar and Pepper smoked bacon lol:lol:

Latest posts