Buying Bees

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
lol they dont drop all 9,000 in one spot....usually 10-20 hives per location a few get 30 or sobut thats are big big fields like 80acres. The ones i would be getting them from if they swarm, go to DH's boss's field and they drop about a dozen there. DH Has two 5 frame deeps/nuc boxes we just have to go get them i guess they are about an hour away in storage. The only problem is there are no trees lol...its a hay/pea field of about 20 acres closest trees are maybe 2-3,000 ft away and that only 3 trees. Could i just put the hive on a stand or something near the ones that will swarm or no? i need to research catching swarms.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Typically when a hive is getting ready to swarm, it happens/builds up to it over about a 10-15 day time frame, The scouts will go out looking for a new home for the swarm to re-establish. Since the bees will fly up to 3 miles in a straight line from their hive foraging, that's not a big deal. When the swarm goes, they typically go to a nearby tree or some other structure and land/ball up, typically ~8-10 feet off the ground. Some times higher, some times lower. Then the scouts go looking. If you can get to the ball before the scouts return, you just open the top of your 10 frame deep, remove a couple of frames, and shake/drop the entire swarm into the deep then replace the frames, cover it, seal it up and move it to where you want it, then unseal it. If you can't be there watching, what you're hoping for is that the scouts will find your box and report back to the swarm that they've found the ideal place. The whole swarm takes off and enters the box trap to "scope it out" and if they like it, you just captured a swarm. After a couple of days, no rush really at this point, you go to the trap early evening right at dark (so most of the bees have returned and are inside), close the entrance so they can't get out and move it to where you want to establish your new hive. If the frames you're using already have some wax and smell of previous bees, that will help in the decision to take up housekeeping.

If there are any permanent deer stands nearby, you could set the trap up on the deer stand. You don't want it right next to the existing hives though... that typically doesn't work. There are lots of Youtubes on it... just rub VERY LIGHTLY a LITTLE lemon grass oil on the top of 2-3 of the center frames, too much will drive them away.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, use lemongrass oil. I have mine all ready to go, hoping to catch a swarm at my MIL's house. She has mandarin orchards nearby and LOTS of bees for pollinating the orchards.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got so excited i forgot to mention. I did have two of the package bee sellers get back to me and one is sold out completely and the other again until near the end of may. So definately looks like i am going to be trying to trap my own.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Trapping is fine (I wouldn't count on it), but go on and get two packages for the end of May. At least that's a start.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well i called and ordered a package of bees. Won't be shipped until may 23rd but im excited and it gives us time to get the other hives and order the stuff we need. I found them for $123 including shipping and insurance. Yay!

We are still going to try to capture some swarms, one off the hives at DHs bosses place and we are going to set up a box by our apple trees because DH reminded me that last year the apple trees were absolutely loaded with honey bees when they were in bloom.