buying sheep

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Little Lily mabels twin
20170225_073152.jpg

It still bothers me how thin molly looks. We will be putting them in a seperate field once we have it set up. And I'm wondering if I should give them a higher fat feed just to get some weight back on them ... Jenny isnt as Bad Since she only had a single
20170225_073054.jpg

Last edited:

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree that they could use a little nutrition. Do you offer them any loose minerals (specifically for sheep)? How about hay? When my girls are lactating, I give them some grain and good alfalfa hay. They keep their weight. Also, check the results of the fecal for any worm loads that may need addressed.

Your sheep are beautiful. You're a conscientious shepherdess. :celebrate

:thumbsup

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree that they could use a little nutrition. Do you offer them any loose minerals (specifically for sheep)? How about hay? When my girls are lactating, I give them some grain and good alfalfa hay. They keep their weight. Also, check the results of the fecal for any worm loads that may need addressed.

Your sheep are beautiful. You're a conscientious shepherdess. :celebrate

:thumbsup
Thanks we make sure they have all the nutrition they need
They have all around the clock access to a sheep feed that has minerals in it and we mix it with sweet feed and a bit of local corn. What brand of loose minerals would you suggest I get for later on? We also make sure that their hay net is always full and they have lots of grass to graze on since our pasture is starting to turn green again

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They just got all their vaccinations, the lady we bought them from made sure to do it the day we came so everything is up to date. I checked their poop just in case and everything seems all good. And thanks so far I feel very happy with my flock :)

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to see the poop under a microscope to see any problems. Just looking at it won't show you possible eggs that could be in there.

For minerals I use Dumor Sheep Mineral, its 20$ at TSC.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was using MoorMan's sheep mineral, but recently switched to Fertrell. Haven't used it long enough to see if there's any difference.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok thank I'll let my dad know and we will go pick some up. Btw question... all of you ( or atleast most )of you have large dogs right? My aunt recently bought a cane Corso black lab mix.... she is twelve weeks and the other day when I was in the sheep pen she got in there and attempted to "play" with ramsay, consisting of pulling at his coat and nipping at the other lambs legs ( I imeadiatly stopped her and corrected her and then took her out of the pen) I checked over all of them the are alright.. ramsay was a bit shaken but otherwise seemed fine after cuddling with the other lambs, and the girls had no damage done no blood drawn or anything. But still pippy (the puppy ) is obsessed and no matter what I say or do tries to go through the fence at the sheep and has become quite mischievous. .. once she gets bigger I'm afraid of the damage she can cause the flock if she gets in! What do I do? No matter the training she always ignores us when it comes to the chickens and sheep, our docile rooster actually attempted to spur her the other day because she was going after the hens (my cousin keeps letting her out and leaving her unattended )

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a border collie/aussie shepherd mix and he has been trained to respect our animals. He knows not to mindlessly chase them and he has taught himself how to herd the stragglers in at night. I think you really need to work with your dog. You say shes a puppy and is stubborn? You need her to learn to respect the sheep. You really dont want her chasing them and stressing them out.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you should talk to your dad and/or your aunt, I don't know your relationship with her. That dog can NOT be allowed in the fence behaving like that. It scares me that someone has a Cane Corso and does not know how to handle it. That is a potentially dangerous dog that may well kill your sheep if they do not train it. Sorry for my bluntness. Sheep and goats do not handle stress well, they are prey animals. I don't know whose property the animals are on, I suppose that makes a difference in your approach.

@Southern by choice