CAE doe

abpride

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have been reading for a while now and never posted.
I am sure someone will have a answers for me.Please!
I have 8 milking nannys.
All but one comes from CAE clear herds.
The one that I know nothing about had a bit of a hard bad when I got her so thinking she is positive.
Do you all think that my clear does will get it from her if they are all together?
I was not on this forum when I got her,had no idea what was up with her.
But thinking back now has me a bit worried.
I need to find info on it.
I am hoping to keep this doe long enough to get a baby out of her.
She has just now been put in with the buck,not bred yet as she is not in season.
I have no problem bottle feeding any kids I get out of her as I bottle feed all my kids.
Would not use her milk for any of the kids.
But can my other does get it from her??
can the buck get it from her by breeding her?
Sorry,I am sure the answers are n here somewhere,I am just not very good at finding things on this computer.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Why do you think she has CAE? I'm fairly new, but I don't think a hard bag is one of the signs. Limping and swollen joints, yes. You should send off a blood sample to test her if you're worried.

From what I can recall, it is very rarely passed from one adult to another, although is thought to be possible, especially if the other adults drink her milk for any reason.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would have her tested. I would think a hard bag would be more of a chance of mastitis than CAE. Like Kelly said, swollen joints and stuff would be more the signs of CAE.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Freshening with a very hard bag is a sign of CAE.

It's less than $15 to get her tested though if you draw the blood yourself.

If not then your vet can do it for you. I think mine charges $10 per goat for a blood draw and it was an extra $2 for the CAE test.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Like Kelly said, it's hard for adult goats to get it. The most common form of transmission is from milk, so unless you have an adult nursing off a postive doe, they'll most likely be fine. Same with breeding, that's not a mode of transmission. Just make sure if your positive doe has any open wounds she's kept away from the rest of the herd.

abpride

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am worried because when I got her,her back part of her bag was very full.
Like she had a lot of milk,but when milked would only milk from the front part of her bag and very little.Maybe a pint in each side.
It was still there after being milked.Hard like a huge lump.
One solid mass that I can cup in both my hands with fingers spread.
very front and teats are soft.I have dried her up to get some wight on her before breeding her.
The hard part has gone down a tiny bit,but she still looks to be full and is not.

I have no idea when she freshened as she was kinda a rescue .
I went to buy,was horified on her condition,and bought her just to get her out of there!
Now that she has improved condition,she is a very nice Nubian.
I have had my run of buying junk,bought 7 nannys over time and only ended up with one good one out of them.I learned after that to be very careful....but I just couldnt leave this poor girl where she was.

She is a bit more careful when she walks,but her feet were very very bad and she had a huge pocket on one side that had to be trimed away due to yuck and dirt packing in it.
So I cant really tell at this point if she is carefull due to stiffness or the foot pocket.
The whole outside of her hoof was cut away.

Not sure where I can get her tested.I am in Alberta Canada and my vet is not a goat person.
I can ask her if she can hunt down a place to test.

KellyHM said:
Why do you think she has CAE? I'm fairly new, but I don't think a hard bag is one of the signs. Limping and swollen joints, yes. You should send off a blood sample to test her if you're worried.

From what I can recall, it is very rarely passed from one adult to another, although is thought to be possible, especially if the other adults drink her milk for any reason.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

abpride

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
ok, no chance of anyone nursing on her.No open wounds.
she is dried up now and I never have kept kids back for myself.
They usally get sold as bottle babys as I am just after their milk.
I am hoping to keep kids back this time for myself :)
just way to hard getting good ones around here.

so might have better luck with keeping back.
I will be bottle feeding these as well as I can control max amount of milk out of my girls if I hand milk and bottle feed.
My first kidding I let the baby suck and tried to milk and it just didnt work out for me.

aggieterpkatie said:
Like Kelly said, it's hard for adult goats to get it. The most common form of transmission is from milk, so unless you have an adult nursing off a postive doe, they'll most likely be fine. Same with breeding, that's not a mode of transmission. Just make sure if your positive doe has any open wounds she's kept away from the rest of the herd.