Cage Aggressive Doe?

AZ Rabbits

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had one do that. When she did, I lightly thumped her on the head (didn't hurt her, but surprised her a bit) and took her by the skin at the back of her neck and had a stern talk with her. I held her there for a little while. Afterwards I pet her and spoke more soothingly to her. She got the message and has been sweet ever since. She knew who was in charge after that. If that wouldn't have fixed her, she'd have gone in the pot. I don't put up with mean rabbits at all.

However, if they are brand new, they may take a bit to get settled in. I give them a chance and then they'd better know who the boss is.

4-H forever!<3

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She sounds like she just wants control over you. It's risky, but you should try to go in her cage to show her that you're the boss. If this doesn't work, she might just be evil! I have a mini rex who has had a great life and we have never treated him wrong, but he charges us in the cage, and will latch onto my leg with his teeth when he's out to play. I got stuck keeping this devil because he was my first rabbit, but if she's new and you're not attached to her yet, I would find someone who will take an aggressive rabbit (there are some brave souls out there), or unfortunately send her to the meat pen. Sometimes rabbits are born mean and there's nothing else you can do.
- New to the forum, 4-H member for four years, 1 evil mini rex, 1 polish, 1 new zealand, 1 holland lop

ibreedlionheads

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

I went into the cage and grabbed her head and held her down for a few seconds. My friend did this too. My doe has become a lot less cage agressive. I also just had her bred (and it was successful this time). So hopefully the breeding will calm her down, and not make her moody...

Mrs.Smith09

Just born
Reaction score
I have had two does like that. I still have one of them. Funny thing is when they have babies with them, they don't act all territorial. My mini lop doe who did this when I first got her, stopped when she kindled her litter of kits in September. She has just started to do it again. She is due the end of this month though so I am hoping it stops again!

Good luck. Neither of mine have actually drawn blood. Now kicking is a whole nother story, I sometimes come in with scratches all up and down my arms if I had short sleeves on and decided to move them around.

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread! I bought a pair of mini lops 4 or 5 days ago as breeders/ pets for my kids and I'm having these problems with my doe. I use a rag to get her out. She attacks it very violently (up on her hind legs scraching with her front paws, biting and "roaring" (a long loud growl)) for about 2 seconds at a time, 5 or 6 times before she settles down. Once she lets me lay the rag over her head I get ahold of her around the ears and scruff and get under her rump. Once I get her out shes fine. My buck races to his "don't touch me" corner and will thump at me a few times a day but other wise pretty laid back. I just push him out of the corner behind his rump. I got the doe bred last night (the buck was having trouble figuring it out) so hopefully that will calm her down. I'm just hoping that she dosn't trample the litter or have to many. Once my buck figured his job out he decided he liked it, lol. I got them to mate once and mated them again 2 hours later for good measure and he thought once wasn't enough. So she was bred 3 times in 2 1/2 hours (although I don't think he penitrated all 3 times). I didn't get a chance to read Ms. research's link yet so I'll do that now. I hope my method helps someone who has a helplessly cage agressive doe even though it's probably not the best method.