Calendula's Journal -- Nubian Pictures

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And by "join the community," I mean that I would like to become more active on here. I mean, I do stalk all of the threads to learn things about the animals that I already, animals that I plan to have, and even animals that I never plan to have. I've even typed up replies to a few threads and then was just so nervous about posting that I chickened out. :hide So I'm hoping this thread and sharing my story with all of you might be a good way for me to feel more comfortable... and I'll actually start replying to everyone else's.

Anyway, now for the actual introduction! Hello, everyone. I'm nineteen and am currently pursuing my Associate's in Accounting before I plan to go on and get a Bachelor's in Accounting and possibly Business Management. Along with that, I work at a chocolate store making truffles. I'm hidden away in the kitchen with the other strange people. :p
My "farm" is run by myself, my parents, and my lovely boyfriend who did not know what he was getting into when he first liked me. ;) I really don't know where I'd be without him. And to add to our little family, my parents just had a baby a few months ago... nineteen year difference, but whatever!
Our farm name keeps hopping around... lot. First it was Tuxedo Farms because we had a knack at collecting black and white animals (cat, dog, goat, rabbits, even chickens!), but we decided against that. Then we switched to Laurel Fields, but that raised a lot of questions from our family regarding "what is laurel?" :thSo now, we're going with Blue Bandit Farms. We have a Facebook for it that has a whopping five likes and no posts (I have anxiety...). But oh well, we love the name!

That was far too long of a family introduction...
So as for animals (which is what I'm sure you all really care about), I have a singular, sassy Betta fish named RutaBetta, an indoor/outdoor four or five-year-old cat that really fails at catching mice named Blue, and then a lovely four-year-old Plott Hound/Labrador mix named Bandit. You will be hearing a LOT about Bandit if you choose to follow. He is my true love, my other half... in dog form. He is sweet, fearless, obedient, and stupid. He is the black dog pictured in my avatar along with our late chocolate Lab, Chocolate, who we sadly put down a few months back.
Bandit is truly the BEST farm dog we could ask for! :D He loves my parents' baby and gets worried if he starts crying, he worried last spring about the doe that was in labor and sat outside the door whining until he was allowed to see the kids and obediently laid down and let the kids hop over to him. He also loves laying out in the sun with the bunnies that love to run up to him and just... I don't know. For being the mix he is, he is truly amazing! We haven't had any predator problems because if there's something he doesn't trust, he will chase it away from the property. Even caught us a couple possums and killed a woodchuck... which I did NOT necessarily approve of, but I wasn't home to say that wasn't alright. o_O
That's enough gushing about him, but yes, we named our farm after our family's first cat (stepdad!) and our "first dog." Quotation marks because he's all mine.

As for farm animals, we currently have twenty-four chickens. One Buff Orpington rooster, a Buff Orpington hen, five Barred Rocks, two White Leghorns, three Easter Eggers, a hen whose breed I cannot remember at the moment, and then our rooster fathered another Buff Orpington hen, a sweet Buff Orpington cockerel, a Barred Rock cockerel, and two Easter Egger hen mixes, and finally, a White Leghorn mix. The two Easter Egger hens that he fathered are truly gorgeous. Their coloring... everything... BEAUTIFUL. I will have to get pictures of them.
We also have three ducks! A Rouen drake and a white Pekin hen, along with a little Rouen hen that I ignorantly didn't give her the niacin she needed when she was younger and now she has a little trouble walking. :(
We also have two rabbits, a neutered male and a female. They are pets. Originally named Mr. Bunny and Little Bunny, we have since changed their names to Bugs and Lola. They are two complete opposites.
And finally... goats! We have six. Five unregistered Nigerian Dwarfs and then a doe that is 75% ND and 25% Pygora/Fainter mix. Her name is Fairy. As for the others, we have Stanley who is my favorite wether (don't tell the others ;)) and his sister Pixie who was a born a different year. They are Fairy's half-siblings.
Then we have Cloud, a wether that we bought for 4H for my mom's friend's kid who was helping out with the goats since he is a huge animal lover, but he stopped coming out so now the sweet guy is just another mouth to feed... but he's so sweet.
And finally, we have my troublemaker, drama queen, utter disaster of a goat... Daphne. We got her in the same year as Stanley and she is horrible. Won't walk on a leash if she doesn't want to, won't be milked unless it is just me with her and even then it's touchy, won't mother or calm down unless she has Stanley with her... she loves to push every one of my buttons, I swear.
Our sixth goat is a doe named Winona from Daphne. She is the opposite of her mother... for now! Sweet and tiny and just adorable.

Anyway, so that is my introduction. :) On the side, I also crochet, make some paracord stuff, write stories, and want to learn to knit. We have also started in on a fodder system to feed our animals and they're actually starting to love it!
Also, I will make sure to get pictures later. ;) But you'll have to excuse our mess of a barn...

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the 'Herd'!!....we are down here in NW Mississippi along with our 11GLWs....we just call em 'Dotties'...5 Rouen hens, 6 Khaki Campbell hens w/ 1 Khaki drake....and 3 goats....a pygmy doe and 2 pygmy/boer cross wethers....sounds like ya have some really good animals and quite the 'Variety' too...:)....we All do like pics and keeping up with each other's Adventures, so feel Free to jump in and 'Post'....we all try to Help each other and learn from another's 'Experience'....though there certainly are a collection of 'Experts' here that we all certainly are quick to 'Listen' to...no matter who might 'Ask the Question', so don't hesitate to ask for sure....before long you'll be more 'Confident' in posting....again Welcome!!!....:welcome