1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Calendula's Journal -- Nubian Pictures

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by Calendula, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Dec 14, 2016
    Calendula

Calendula Loving the herd life

And by "join the community," I mean that I would like to become more active on here. I mean, I do stalk all of the threads to learn things about the animals that I already, animals that I plan to have, and even animals that I never plan to have. I've even typed up replies to a few threads and then was just so nervous about posting that I chickened out. :hide So I'm hoping this thread and sharing my story with all of you might be a good way for me to feel more comfortable... and I'll actually start replying to everyone else's.

Anyway, now for the actual introduction! Hello, everyone. I'm nineteen and am currently pursuing my Associate's in Accounting before I plan to go on and get a Bachelor's in Accounting and possibly Business Management. Along with that, I work at a chocolate store making truffles. I'm hidden away in the kitchen with the other strange people. :p
    My "farm" is run by myself, my parents, and my lovely boyfriend who did not know what he was getting into when he first liked me. ;) I really don't know where I'd be without him. And to add to our little family, my parents just had a baby a few months ago... nineteen year difference, but whatever!
    Our farm name keeps hopping around... lot. First it was Tuxedo Farms because we had a knack at collecting black and white animals (cat, dog, goat, rabbits, even chickens!), but we decided against that. Then we switched to Laurel Fields, but that raised a lot of questions from our family regarding "what is laurel?" :thSo now, we're going with Blue Bandit Farms. We have a Facebook for it that has a whopping five likes and no posts (I have anxiety...). But oh well, we love the name!

That was far too long of a family introduction...
    So as for animals (which is what I'm sure you all really care about), I have a singular, sassy Betta fish named RutaBetta, an indoor/outdoor four or five-year-old cat that really fails at catching mice named Blue, and then a lovely four-year-old Plott Hound/Labrador mix named Bandit. You will be hearing a LOT about Bandit if you choose to follow. He is my true love, my other half... in dog form. He is sweet, fearless, obedient, and stupid. He is the black dog pictured in my avatar along with our late chocolate Lab, Chocolate, who we sadly put down a few months back.
    Bandit is truly the BEST farm dog we could ask for! :D He loves my parents' baby and gets worried if he starts crying, he worried last spring about the doe that was in labor and sat outside the door whining until he was allowed to see the kids and obediently laid down and let the kids hop over to him. He also loves laying out in the sun with the bunnies that love to run up to him and just... I don't know. For being the mix he is, he is truly amazing! We haven't had any predator problems because if there's something he doesn't trust, he will chase it away from the property. Even caught us a couple possums and killed a woodchuck... which I did NOT necessarily approve of, but I wasn't home to say that wasn't alright. o_O
    That's enough gushing about him, but yes, we named our farm after our family's first cat (stepdad!) and our "first dog." Quotation marks because he's all mine.

As for farm animals, we currently have twenty-four chickens. One Buff Orpington rooster, a Buff Orpington hen, five Barred Rocks, two White Leghorns, three Easter Eggers, a hen whose breed I cannot remember at the moment, and then our rooster fathered another Buff Orpington hen, a sweet Buff Orpington cockerel, a Barred Rock cockerel, and two Easter Egger hen mixes, and finally, a White Leghorn mix. The two Easter Egger hens that he fathered are truly gorgeous. Their coloring... everything... BEAUTIFUL. I will have to get pictures of them.
    We also have three ducks! A Rouen drake and a white Pekin hen, along with a little Rouen hen that I ignorantly didn't give her the niacin she needed when she was younger and now she has a little trouble walking. :(
    We also have two rabbits, a neutered male and a female. They are pets. Originally named Mr. Bunny and Little Bunny, we have since changed their names to Bugs and Lola. They are two complete opposites.
    And finally... goats! We have six. Five unregistered Nigerian Dwarfs and then a doe that is 75% ND and 25% Pygora/Fainter mix. Her name is Fairy. As for the others, we have Stanley who is my favorite wether (don't tell the others ;)) and his sister Pixie who was a born a different year. They are Fairy's half-siblings.
    Then we have Cloud, a wether that we bought for 4H for my mom's friend's kid who was helping out with the goats since he is a huge animal lover, but he stopped coming out so now the sweet guy is just another mouth to feed... but he's so sweet.
    And finally, we have my troublemaker, drama queen, utter disaster of a goat... Daphne. We got her in the same year as Stanley and she is horrible. Won't walk on a leash if she doesn't want to, won't be milked unless it is just me with her and even then it's touchy, won't mother or calm down unless she has Stanley with her... she loves to push every one of my buttons, I swear.
    Our sixth goat is a doe named Winona from Daphne. She is the opposite of her mother... for now! Sweet and tiny and just adorable.

Anyway, so that is my introduction. :) On the side, I also crochet, make some paracord stuff, write stories, and want to learn to knit. We have also started in on a fodder system to feed our animals and they're actually starting to love it!
    Also, I will make sure to get pictures later. ;) But you'll have to excuse our mess of a barn...

2. Dec 14, 2016
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

I totally understand having anxiety, I am the worst with that. Just know that this community is loving and welcome to everyone. we people are here to share our experiences, teach others and learn new things. Dont be nervous you'll fit right in!

3. Dec 14, 2016
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

Glad to see you made the jump!
    Now that the official intro is done...

PICTURES! :):):)

4. Dec 14, 2016
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

5. Dec 14, 2016
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

Hi, and welcome from Texas!

chickchick and Devonviolet like this.
  6. Dec 14, 2016
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

Welcome :frow, glad you joined us! Pictures are always appreciated ;)! Look forward to reading more of your posts!

7. Dec 14, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

So glad to see you plucked up the nerve to jump in w/both feet! Yes, by all means, PICTURES! Have no fear about posting! Just jump right in!

8. Dec 14, 2016
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Welcome to the 'Herd'!!....we are down here in NW Mississippi along with our 11GLWs....we just call em 'Dotties'...5 Rouen hens, 6 Khaki Campbell hens w/ 1 Khaki drake....and 3 goats....a pygmy doe and 2 pygmy/boer cross wethers....sounds like ya have some really good animals and quite the 'Variety' too...:)....we All do like pics and keeping up with each other's Adventures, so feel Free to jump in and 'Post'....we all try to Help each other and learn from another's 'Experience'....though there certainly are a collection of 'Experts' here that we all certainly are quick to 'Listen' to...no matter who might 'Ask the Question', so don't hesitate to ask for sure....before long you'll be more 'Confident' in posting....again Welcome!!!....:welcome

9. Dec 14, 2016
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Welcome "back" to BYH! You couldn't have chickened out, this isn't BYC ;) though a dozen chickens running for treats sure sound like a herd!

Glad you have found your BYH voice, er, fingers. Feel free to send truffles my way any time :D

10. Dec 14, 2016
    HomeOnTheRange

HomeOnTheRange Mowing the Green, Green Grass of Home

Hey @Calendula,
    I am a little shy about hitting that "Post Reply" button myself. Your intro was great! Looking forward to pics and all of your updates on what you are doing down on the farm.