Calf Brain Cutlets

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kute Kitten is researching Poland for a class in school. One of the things we are searching is foods. I found this one different but, I don't think I will be making it anytime soon!

CALF'S BRAIN CUTLETS

kotlety z mozdzku cielecego

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blanch 1 lb. calves brains in 4 cups boiling water, containing 2 Tablespoons salt and 2 Tablespoons until they turn whitish. Remove from pot and set aside to cool.

Slice brains into small cutlets (patties), discarding membrane, veins, and gristle. Salt & pepper, dip in beaten eggs, roll in bread crumbs, pressing in breading on both sides in 2 Tablespoons oil and 2 Tablespoons butter, then reduce heat and simmer a while longer. Serve with tartar sauce.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
That must not be in dads polish cook book, it sounds like something he would have cooked up, just to watch us girls eat it!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Brains are supposedly very tasty. They are high in fat so it wouldn't surprise me.......

rabbitlady4433

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know this was a while ago, but my grandma use to scramble them up with our scrambled eggs. It was pretty good.

txcarl1258

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:sick I don't know if you could actually find calf brains for sale. If I recall they outlawed the consumption of cattle brains because of the risk of Mad Cow Disease.

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:lol: I think I'll pass too. But I have to admit organ meats are fascinating--barring liverwurst, I'd probably never eat them, but I always enjoy reading old editions of the Joy Of Cooking and seeing all the recipes for brains, hearts, livers, tongue, tripe, etc. Found a recipe for chicken's combs once!!!