Calf Watch...Guess with me....

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a friend whose teenage daughter has two Holsteins that she shows but they never milk them,( total waste IMO, I would love some cow's milk...really it is the cream I want). But when the cows freshen she goes to one of the local dairies and buys a bull calf and lets the cows raise two calves. Works out pretty well. Last year she sold the bull calf at weaning and now this year she is going to raise it for meat.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new addition! He's a cutie, regardless if he's a bull calf. :D

The cow, for a dairy gal, looks to be in super great condition. I've seen thin dairy cows and she's not thin, so I'm in agreement with the vet on easing off the grain, but of course she will need the little extra nutrition for milk.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like she is doing good. If she is broke to halter that is all I would do if she won't stay put for the whole milking. I use neck chains and when the cows are in the barn, just clip a tie chain to it to keep them in their place while they are eating and the calves are nursing. Got one that is a "pushy pig" and she will go into everyone else"s spot to get grain so she has to be restrained. It gives them more "move around" room than a head catch or an old style stanchion but keeps them in place. One of my jerseys will just stay in place without any tying while I am milking. Once I get the nurse calves grafted on the cows and they aren't kicking, I'll bring the cows in, give them grain and alfalfa and let everyone nurse. After about 2 weeks of making sure they are all eating good, I will turn them out w the cow. I then will usually bring the cows in once a day for their grain and to eat some alfalfa where the other cows can't get to it. There are always other cows at this pasture w the barn. It is amazing how quick the nurse cows will come when they see my vehicle and walk/push right past/through the others to come in the barn when I am standing there at the barn door to let them in. They know they are gonna get some extra!!!!
It is not common in first calf heifers, but jerseys seem to be more prone to milk fever so just keep a watch on her. Since she hasn't been on too much concentrate it is unlikely, but her calcium can get out of whack. If she gets wobbly, like she was drunk, or can't get up or cold ears and is down, get the vet unless you can give an IV. There are paste tubes you can use and we keep them on hand, but they take awhile to absorb and a jersey can go down quick. Had one old cow that got it just before she freshened every time. We knew what to watch for after the first time so was fine, but it can scare you.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info! I think she is past the risk of milk fever from what I understand but I do think she is a little tender still. I milked her out a bit yesterday and get this, I had the bucket on the ground with the milk when I was cleaning up and she drank it all :eek:

But the story gets better. I was like well great I need more now haha, so I squatted down and was milking her, she literally kicked me with intention and now my ankle is incredibly swollen and I cant put much weight on it. Now since I know I need to milk her some more today a dairy farmer neighbor suggested I tie her to the wall and let one of my one month old bottle calves go at her. I am going to do that today at lunch.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have had some of the cows drink milk from the bucket so that isn't that strange. Yes a month old calf will get going on her and the butting will hurt her some but should be aggressive enough to get her milked out. All else fails, try hobbles for her backlegs til she gets over the kicking issue. I have used them on cows that don't like to take on other calves until the calf gets well established. Plus the older calf will get the blood flowing in the udder from butting and it will help to break up the swelling so get rid of the soreness. Don't let her get away with the kicking. When you sit down to milk her, milk her as much as you are going to/ or as much as you can, then be done for that milking. There is a let down factor and once you are done milking, the hormone dissapates and then to start milking again will be irritating to her. It takes in the neighborhood of 1/2 hour to an hour before her body will respond to let milk down in any quantity again. I would suggest always restraining/tying her to milk her so she will know this is what this is for. Establish a routine and boundaries and she will get to follow it. Milk her out when you milk, not just partway or you will wind up with mastitis and she will not come into her full milk potential then will always be a lower producer.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@farmerjan ok great! so I should milk her dry? Even though she has a calf? I literally got half a fair size bucket out of her and she was still dripping....

Also the milk was already pretty white, not the yellow she had the first day.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just went out and bought hobbles! She almost roasted me again today!!!! Her calf was up bucking up a storm today so I got a healthy one on my hands which is great news!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons why I don't know if I could raise dairy cows…I've had black and blue hands from kicking goats, I couldn't imagine a cow stomping me :ep

You are brave.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons why I don't know if I could raise dairy cows…I've had black and blue hands from kicking goats, I couldn't imagine a cow stomping me :ep

You are brave.
Your goats kick?

Yeah, I'm kind of scared of cows and horses... Goats stepping on me hurts enough!