Can I use a picket line instead of a fence for a cow?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here's one of our fences.

fence.jpg

The lavender circle is around a T-post the pink circle is around the insulator the grey line is where the electric wire is. This fence is for our bigger heifers which are good and fence broke so on strand is all we use. The smaller heifers get 2 strands. At the corners are a wooden post which helps with tightening and keeping tight the wire.

FamilyBurger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah, about the posts, I didn't think of that.
I'll be around all day, every day almost to work with and keep an eye on him. Anoher thing, (sorry about all the questions at once) Do I get a girl or boy?

-burger

FamilyBurger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I couldn't view your picture. Sorry. My computer won't let me. But a few people on our road have cows in fencing like you described. I'll have to talk to my Dad about your point on the posts. He says you only have to put posts 50 feet apart.

-burger

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ask away with the questions, we are here to help and would rather you ask them and be prepared than not know what you are doing.

Here is the pic again. This time I loaded it into the "Uploads" here instead of using Photobucket.
5_fence.jpg

As for bull, steer, or heifer, I'd stay away from the bull or have it steered due to their nature. Beyond that if you're getting it for meat it doesn't really matter. If you're considering starting a herd of your own and may keep instead of butcher it, go for a heifer. And if you get a breed with horns, please dehorn!

FamilyBurger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks bunches!!!
I can see your picture now!
A breed with horns? I thought all bulls had horns and heifers had little stubs!! :ep WOW! Shows how much I know about cows!:lol:

- thanks again!!
-burgers

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
holy cow is that all you use for a fence. I thought they need more then that. I have a 4 foot fence with bob wire that the other side did and I'm still worry about them getting out. Ro one of their bulls gettin in my yard.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
How good a fence you need all depends on how tame the bovine is... and how green the grass is on the other side!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
How good a fence you need all depends on how tame the bovine is... and how green the grass is on the other side!
As well as how well fence trained they are and how good your fencer is.

We have more trouble with the deer tangling the fence than the heifers.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd sooner go with an electric fence than a picket line. That's just my experience from working with beefers all my life. A double stranded hotwire with T-posts like Kitty showed is your safest bet for keeping your animals on your land. I honestly don't trust the picket rope thing, because those calves can be quite powerful and pull out the pin if you don't got it sunk in right or far enough.

Gallagher is THE best for electric fencing. I'm not sure about the company you posted about, its just Gallagher the one's we've had experience with and success with.

As for the horns, breeds like Angus and Red Angus are polled (born without horns). If a calf is a crossbred with an Angus there is a near 100% chance it'll be polled. So no, not all bulls have horns, nor do heifers or cows. And not all bulls are solid coloured either. :)

I have to differ with Kitty on the heifer: a heifer can be a real pain in the a$$ when you're trying to handle her when she's got a calf and when she's calving: ESPECIALLY with a beginner; and that can be ANY heifer, docile or not. I will list off the problems you could have: dystocia (calving problems), not enough milk, won't accept calf, won't let you get near calf, won't let you wean calf, the list goes on. So, if you are leaning on having a breeding animal or two, get a cow that's preg with a calf-at-side (a 3-in-1). This cow will have experience with calving and won't have the problems that you will face with a first-calving heifer.

If you just want beef, get a steer; more favorably two.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WRB's right on the problems with heifer and calves but, the same can apply to a cow. It just goes with the territory.