Can milk be pasteurized after refrigeration?

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on milking any of my does this year (too much going on), but recently bought back a doe I sold as a kid and she happens to be in milk. I am only milking once a day, so not getting a ton, but enough. I would generally drink it raw, but I am currently 7 months pregnant and don't want to take that risk, plus I'd prefer it to be pasteurized for my son who's not yet 2.

So the question is, can I store the milk for a couple (2-3) days and then pasteurize the whole batch instead of having to take the time and make the mess every day? This is the only way I see myself sticking with it. Also, after pasteurization, instead of an ice bath can I just stick the jars in the deep freeze? Not sure how long it would take to cool down like that, but it sounds quicker and to be honest, my ice maker isn't working so I don't even have ice half the time. :rolleyes: Thanks for any help!

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, I pasteurized a batch yesterday for the first time and it came out good. I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes, then in the back of the fridge to cool down. I had to leave for work, so that was my only option! The milk tasted great though, so I guess it worked ok. I think I'm going to take what I have from the past week and pasteurize it as 1 big batch. What's the worst that can happen? Off taste? Otherwise it will probably go to waste, so I figured I might as well give it a shot.