Can sheep and horses live in same pasture?!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
She looks like she could be a hair sheep. Have you ever had her sheared? If not, how tall is she? I dont think she is a purebred, but probably a cross of something.

And no, the auction wouldnt be able to tell you anything other than species, sex, weight, and perm. Id. They have previous owner info but I dont think they are allowed to give it to you. Does she still have a scrapie tag in?

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I agree with SheepGirl that she might have some hair sheep in her going off that belly. Black Welsh are overly common here in the US.

None of my sheep are registered, nor are they purebred. Even show lambs ( meat club lambs) don't need to be registered. Often times it is done more by people who specialize in one breed and focus on selling breeding stock.

Tamara

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She doesn't need to be registered for you to breed her. If she has a nice fleece, or good meat conformation, or whatever you're breeding for, go for it. :)
Good luck! One of my local sheep friends is a lady with a fiber flock of 30+ sheep of various breeds, and she started with a pet lamb from a livestock auction like you.
Thank you. I would love to breed her. One of your friends started out just like me? That's really inspiring sometimes I loose hope. Do you think I could talk to her through email? It'd just be nice to get some inspiration. Thanks tamarasheepfarmer@gmail.com

Tamara

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She looks like she could be a hair sheep. Have you ever had her sheared? If not, how tall is she? I dont think she is a purebred, but probably a cross of something.

And no, the auction wouldnt be able to tell you anything other than species, sex, weight, and perm. Id. They have previous owner info but I dont think they are allowed to give it to you. Does she still have a scrapie tag in?
I have sheeted her every year. I'm just learning about hair sheep. She's about 4ft and some change. I'm taking her to vet today so I'll measure then. She still has her original tags in.

Tamara

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree with SheepGirl that she might have some hair sheep in her going off that belly. Black Welsh are overly common here in the US.

None of my sheep are registered, nor are they purebred. Even show lambs ( meat club lambs) don't need to be registered. Often times it is done more by people who specialize in one breed and focus on selling breeding stock.
Oh I see. Her belly is really cute. Do you think I'd be able to show her one day?

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
More than likely, in a general breeding ewe class.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
She looks like she could have suffolk in her. And looking at her belly and also the image of her near the salt lick, she looks part hair sheep.

If shes 4 yrs old she probably cant be shown because at a lot of fairs the age limit is 2.

appaloosa 239

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've heard of goats and horses living together and getting along, but never sheep and horses. I'm not sure....maybe you should try it again with those too. I agree with @SheepGirl .

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My sheep get along fine with the horses and cows, but our pasture is 60 acres and they only really come together at feeding time. The horses put one ear back and the sheep vacate the pile of hay in question without any fuss.