Canning BBQ shredded chicken

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is the age old battle between those who've "always done it this way" and those who actually listen to the science and refuse to take risks. What is worse is when that information is passed on as right and correct when it could put someone else at risk. Just because you've never been hit by lightening - doesn't mean you won't be. But, of course, those folks are welcome to keep walking outside in the middle of a storm. :)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sure see both approaches. My grands did not have pressure canners, used water bath. Yes -- risks. Personally, I use pressure for meats. I pack raw. Just feel better with the process for meats. Now, I like the convenience but, not always the texture so I also freeze. Again -- the presence of bacteria still exists when you cook what's been frozen. Temperature control enters again.

The BBQ chicken would be something I'd make & freeze. Plain chicken, canned is easy to use for other dishes...& fast, just heat.

All that said -- I drink my goat milk RAW. :lol:

WyoLiving

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just use the last of my canned chicken last night for chicken enchiladas. I can the chicken plain, then add the sauce or seasonings when i want to use it. I am working on differnet sauces that I can "can" and have on the shelf for when I want a quick meal. So far, I have a Cherry Bourbon BBQ sauce that I really like - it is great on pork and chicken. Next is Sloppy Joe sauce - for homemade manwich (I am intolerant of bell peppers so the store sauces are a NO).

Are you using a Store bought BBQ sauce for your BBQ Chicken? If so, I would make up only 1 or 2 jars for a trial run to see how it works.

I would worry that the store bought sauce may have some ingredients that won't hold up to the pressure canning or that may produce an off flavor. I would rather "waste" the 90 minutes and pound of chicken for just a couple of jars that turn out funky - rather than messing up 10 pounds of chicken and sauce for something that you would rather not eat.

Don't want to spend 90 minutes pressure canning just2 jars of chicken, fill the rest of the canner with jars of beans so you run a full canner. Beans are always good to have on the shelf.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Barbecue sauce is easily canned. It is mostly tomato sauce with herbs, sugar, vinegar. The spices used are also used in pickles so taste will not differ too much. HOWEVER, meat requires a pressure canner. BBQ sauce and catsup can be safely canned in a water bath canner.

Vegetables, milk, meat, fish, need the pressure canner to raise the heat to the temperature needed for low acid foods. Fruit, tomatoes, jams, pickles, all use the water bath method since the combination of acids, sugar, and salt,are enough to keep those foods safe at lower canning temperatures.

Also, you should have the pressure gauge tested each year before the canning season to make sure that it is registering the correct pressure. The seal should be changed every 2 years. I also don't always follow all the rules of canning. I used glass quart mayonnaise jars (when mayo came in glass jars) a well Ball and Kerr jars. Ever now and then a jar would breat in the canner - but never a mayo jar, always one of the canning brand jars. :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I haven't already done it, I want to welcome @Llimi and @tonybluegoat to the forum. Thanks for your input and I hope both of you stick around, join the fun and conversation. Check out our sister sites, www.theeasygarden.com and www.sufficientself.com Links are on the right side of the page. @tonybluegoat you are in Anderson county? We are in Smith county, so howdy neighbor.