1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Car Chasing

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by animalmom, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Sep 19, 2018
    ChickenAndGoatLover

ChickenAndGoatLover Chillin' with the herd

Wehner Homestead likes this.
  2. Sep 19, 2018
    Stephine

Stephine Chillin' with the herd

Oh, need to add: the pup needs to learn self control in order to succeed - if he CAN’T control himself because he hasn’t learned this is hopeless. So you have to train him apart from the anti-chase training of course. From basic sit before putting down the food bowl and waiting for an OK before approaching and eating his food, to sits for ANYTHING you do for him, “stay” training , etc. Great is also to play ball with him and train “wait” and release before he is allowed to run and get the ball. Train “stop” to stop him from a run, then combine throwing the ball and using the “stop” command when he is chasing the ball.
    So Train Train Train - as others said a GSD is very trainable but you HAVE to put in the work. A collar is a lazy “substitute “ for training that easily fails. Plus, if you train you’ll end up with a better dog in all respects.

3. Sep 19, 2018
    RathdrumGal

RathdrumGal Chillin' with the herd

We lost a year old yellow lab puppy due to running off of our property. She ran on the highway and was hit by a car.

Our property is fully fenced, but we live in a high snow area. We need to open our farm gate when it snows. or risk being snowed in until we can dig out the gate. That is how our dog got out.

My husband solved the problem by putting invisible fencing just across the gate opening. You have to have an entire circuit, but he was able to dig a shallow trench and our short rectangular circuit is only 6 inches wide. But it works to keep our new dog in. The collar gives a warning beep before the shock. It literally only took 1-2 shocks before she avoids getting near the gate. My husband ran a heavy duty exterior extension cord through the bushes near our fence to power the electric fence. The fence power unit is protected by an inverted plastic bucket hidden near the fence line. This has worked well for the past two years. We have had no problem with the buried wires resulting from driving over the gate opening. The whole system cost about $150.

4. Sep 23, 2018
    Honey Maid

Honey Maid Exploring the pasture

100% the correct answer, I was amazed at the amount of 'shock collar' answers. I still use 'choke chains', when used correctly, they are WAY better than, shock collars, pinch collars, those stupid new things that people put on their dogs muzzle when they walk them.