catching a swarm

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ordered placed. Spoke with the guy who heads up the site. He stressed study study study...I feel like that's a good thing.
I ordered 4lbs with an Italian queen,he said that kind is calmer. Any input?

D1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wish I lived near you Alicia, I would HELP you get them out of that house. Thats how I got my start, a friend helped me cut them from under a mobile home....I pay it forward eevrey year by elping someone else get started by helping them cut a hive from a location.

I believe a person who WORKS to get a start in beekeeping VS buying into it has an upper hand in the long run, more so for the experience of it.

I charge the home owner a VERY SMALL fee to get them out of the house with the homeowner resposible for putting it back together. I do it this way because materiels and labor for construction is more expensive than a nuc of bees and the homeowner doesnt kill the bees in the wall(that can cause other insect problems in the long run) giving the bees a better chance of survival.

Alicia, you mentioned being worried about harming/killing bees and or queen, this can happen(less likely) with installing a package of bees.

Good luck in your quest in beekeeping

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ordered placed. Spoke with the guy who heads up the site. He stressed study study study...I feel like that's a good thing.
I ordered 4lbs with an Italian queen,he said that kind is calmer. Any input?

Remembering that I have zero experience, from what I have read so far -the large part of the relative calmness of a colony is due to when you open the hive and how you move around when you're in it. That's said, the Italians are generally calm, big time honey producers, and Carnies work well in the cooler more norther climes because of how rapidly the colony responds to the nectar flow.