cesarean on dead cow possible?

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Rach, the inducing idea is great! I know they aren't going to get the vet back out for her, but they do their own injections, and will run it by my boss. Thank you all for your input. If it was my cow (I have a jersey cross heifer who is here to stay and a 5 month steer for meat), I'd have the vet do it. Think I'll pass on 'operating' on someone else's. Good to know it's not such an off-the-wall idea! No, the calf isn't sexed--keeping the cow going until she calves isn't a good business decision, but one of the reasons I like where I work!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I think you only have a minute or two before the calf dies, so you'll have to be quick. I'd recommend calling a vet out and have him perform a normal c-section on her, then euthanize her after the calf is born. Or, have him be the one to get the calf out if you've never done it before. If you only have a minute, it's worth getting someone knowledgeable out. I would also get as close as possible to the due date, and not go 2 or 3 weeks early. If you want to save the calf, you want to wait as long as possible and not induce her so early.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Inducing is a good idea, if you are sure about the due date, but be careful. There is a slim window of "readiness", calf born just a little bit too early will fail to thrive and have alot of medical problems.

I would definately give it some thought, though. It's an excellent idea and I'm ashamed that I didnt think of it. :hide

Something else I would consider is to have the cow euth'd in stages......have her put under the anesthesia for a c-section, and have the get the baby out while she is alive but "asleep" and then let the vet inject the euthanol (or whatever he/she uses) to stop the cows heart.

Please keep us posted on how this works out for you, I like to know the treatments and outcomes of problems like this for future reference. It's a terrible thing to say, but there is a lot to be learned from other peoples troubles.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was kind of worried this was the wrong place to discuss this, as I am talking about a large dairy, not a backyard farm. (Although that's what I have personally). But, as you said, any of us could face this situation. The calf really doesn't have a $ value, so the vet won't be called again. (I think at this point, it might be costing more to ship calves than they get for them, which makes me ever-so grateful for how treasured home calves are!).

They said they haven't had much luck inducing in the past, as the cow needs to be dialated already. The c-section to euthanasia in stages would sure seem to be the kindest to the cow. As long as her foot doesn't snap, she should be okay. Too bad we have to stop pasturing due to weather. She's been given the option of being in the free stall part of the barn or the tie up. Naturally, being a Jersey, she has chosen the free stall and continues to assert her bossy self. Cricket

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Cricket, I completely get the large dairy thing, since I have worked on several dairies. If the calf is a heifer I'd think there would be a pretty good value, right? I guess they don't want to take the chance that it'll be a bull? Even at the large dairies we would still call the vet for major things, and usually the vet was out pretty frequently to do preg checks and things like that. Hopefully things will work out. Please keep us updated!

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
ONe of the beef cows here got stuck in the mud. A couple of the kids went out hunting and found here, the coyotes had been eating her alive, so they humanely dispatched her. Then they saw her belly roll and realized she had a calf in there. They pulled her out and did a cesarian with a pocket knife and brought the calf to me. We gave her some colostrum and had a hard time getting her to rally. AFter several hours of warming and rubbing we gave up, but my Golden Retriever started licking on her, and mothering her, and long story short, she's due to calve for the first time this spring. :)

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What a great story! Those kids had to have some gumption! Our cow is still meandering lamely through life, 'flying' under the radar of the one who would dispatch her. Someone fudged on her due date--apparently when I heard she was due in a few weeks, it was more like 6! Gotta love a family farm! Cricket

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, while this may seem obvious, I haven't heard anyone say it yet, so here goes...she can't be dispatched with euthasol or the calf won't be viable. I'm assuming since the vet isn't doing it that they're planning on using a gun anyways, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Also, if at all possible, try to cut on the right side. Otherwise you're up against the rumen and it is a MESS. Just a thought. ;)

Latest posts