Changing goals and speed

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do have 4 other children, but they are all school aged and gone from 7-4, so it's a lot of down time during the day. I mean, yes I have household chores, but I make my older kids pick their own messes up so I have a minimal amount to do. Just vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, moping and washing clothes. They put their own laundry up. Other than that, unless they have a dr appt or I need to go to the store, I don't have much to do all day.

I feed with 5 gallon buckets - I can carry 4 at a time, and they aren't full so it's not very heavy, just bulky. I impressed my 13 year old when I bought feed a few days ago by carrying 80 lbs on my shoulders from where I park to the feed shed, rather than moving the truck to unload. Good exercise! I had picked up groceries and backed the truck in to unload those, and didn't see any reason to start the truck to move it to unload the feed. I might if I had more than 4 or 5 bags though.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I knew I liked you! Lol, the people at TSC look at me weird when I carry 50 lb feed bags to my car. One guy was really bothered that I wasn't using a cart. It's easier than going back with the cart!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Exactly, and carts tend to tip ove r when they get that heavy.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm the same way, if it's a small load just carry it.

I'm a small framed person, 5' 5" and 100lbs.
The guys at Southern States are always shocked. Not long ago we were loading ~30 bags of feed, they stand on the loading dock and toss the bags over while I load them. I wasn't quite ready and as I turned around a bag was coming at me, I caught it in mid air with one hand and stacked it. The looks on everyone's face was priceless!

Plus, I'm pretty sure shoulders are made just for feed bags to sit on.

People think small "chicks" are weak, love to prove them wrong :lol:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My 6'4" brother has a "bad shoulder" (wahhh, it's not that bad, he's a complainer) so my parents have told him don't bother trying to help them move furniture, his farmer sister will do it:lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
At 61, I can still toss a 50 pound bag of feed on my shoulder and put it in the feed shed. Ya'll keep it up, toss those bags and square bales, it is weight lifting--farm style!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well........ya know you are getting old when everyone offers to help you load your feed, even the customers outside and you HAVEN'T EVEN started to pick the bags up, just drop a tailgate! :p
Depending on my mood I let them but, most often I explain that when I can't do it it will be time to get rid of them all...Thanks!

I generally back right up to the barn as soon as I get home. Unload.
Never been able to throw a 50# bag on my shoulder....40 ok. But I can still stack that hay 5 high. Can't explain it. :idunno Slower :old

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me too, @Baymule! I usually buy 16 - 18 bags of feed at a time and 99% of the time I unload them all myself. I now keep my feed in a trailer outside the pasture (so no break ins by the critter)...which means I actually have a couple steps up to get in the trailer. Keeps me strong! But doesn't help the torn tendon in my ankle...sheesh!

I say the same thing @Mini Horses - when I can't move the feed anymore it's time to hang it up.