Changing Kid Milk Replacer

benitak

Just born
Reaction score
I have a 2 week old orphaned Boer goat - currently he is on Di-vetalec formula from the vets and I am wanting to change it to Profelac milk replacer which is more targeted at kids and lambs.... We have already had issues with scours and he has had 2 lots of antibiotics for infections. Currently he is ok although has a sore hoof which we have strapped to help heal. My question is: should i be slowly moving him over to the new milk replacer? 1/2 and 1/2 in the bottle for a few days?

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd start off with less of the new formula. Maybe start with 1/4 new added to the old formula. Do that a couple of days and slowly transition till he is 100% on the new formula. Good luck. 👍

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don’t have any goats yet, but years ago we had an acquaintance with a traveling weeding goat herd who had trouble with their kids on milk replacer and we got real goats milk for them from Trader Joe’s which put them right almost immediately.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It all comes down to palitablity Tast it if thy taste close or even similar. Fact is the kid is or should be bonded to you ,and drink what you give it .I use Dumur from Tractor Supply it is apples to apples with most milk replacer out there cheaper ,does the job .and a 22 lb. Per kid will almost do .

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It all comes down to palitablity Tast it if thy taste close or even similar. Fact is the kid is or should be bonded to you ,and drink what you give it .I use Dumur from Tractor Supply it is apples to apples with most milk replacer out there cheaper ,does the job .and a 22 lb. Per kid will almost do .
A will back when i was milking 20+ goats i had a large group of kids born all within several days of each other. To protect them from any communicable diseases passed from the dame i put them on milk replacer it just wasn't doing it. Lost 2 kids so had to do something fast. Instead of mixing the replacer with water i used the leftover whey from the cheese making. Not only did i not loose any more kids, but the added protien helped them to blossem and they rapidly added weight. I may be wrong but when i looked up the protein percent for whey i think it said 13 %, which was what i believe was the protein for the replacer. Giving a tktal protein of 26%. I just enjoyed it because it was a good way to recycle whey and help the kids grow at the same time.