Changing of the breeds

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are loosing kits in Winter, you need to figure out what's going wrong with the nests or where there could be drafts or freezing air getting in.
There are very low cost heat fans out there that cost pennies a day to run, it might help a ton.

mickey328

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in Northern Colorado. I did finally find a breeder down in Denver (about an hour away or so) who has Silver Foxes, and am thinking I might just go with them. From what I've read, they were one of the "standards" till the NZ's and Cali's came along. I really like the idea of helping to preserve a heritage breed. Hoping to get cages ready and start in January or February.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
:clap

Great post!

We have silver fox but dh likes to keep a NZ doe around to breed to for his meat pen.

mickey328

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We're planning for meat as well. I was thinking of NZ's at first and keep changing my mind, LOL. I'm sure we'll experiment more after we get some experience under our belts.

Lorelai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
To the OP: Great post. It's better to start small, test the waters, and expand later, whether that means simply adding more breeding stock or obtaining higher quality, specific breeds, etc. We started on Craigslist, with pretty much whatever we could find, and that worked for us. Knowing what I do about rabbits now, I probably wouldn't recommend that as a first option, but I understand that for some it's the best way to start. And I'd rather people start! :)

mickey328 said:
I'm in Northern Colorado. I did finally find a breeder down in Denver (about an hour away or so) who has Silver Foxes, and am thinking I might just go with them. From what I've read, they were one of the "standards" till the NZ's and Cali's came along. I really like the idea of helping to preserve a heritage breed. Hoping to get cages ready and start in January or February.
You should see if you have any rabbit shows around your area. We are fortunate to live about 1.5-2 hours from a town that hosts many rabbit shows in Western Washington, and we were able to network with the best New Zealand breeders in the area. And they didn't charge an arm and a leg for their rabbits! For example, we bought a beautiful BOB broken black New Zealand buck from Jean Harris for $45, 8 months old and ready to breed. I love him. We've paid between $35-45 for does and bucks at the shows, and they've all been at least four months old at time of purchase, with really beautiful conformation. We don't show, but we want the qualities that the judges look for, and we know we're getting that from these breeders. They also have tattoos and a full pedigree, which can be handy to have. So I really recommend hunting up a show and seeing what there is available. Another perk of going that route is you might gain access to breeders who might be just a little too far to consider driving to on a normal day, but hey, the show happens to be in a town that meets in the middle, so to speak.

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm not sure about your state and county, but checking with your 4-H program might also be a good place.
Here in MN they have a very active rabbit project and these kids raise some superior rabbits.