Cleaning out a deep litter barn.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm currently letting the chicken flock break up the sheep DL for me. Each day I throw a little layer mash in there and let them dig it out a little more and a little more. Then I scoop the drier, fluffier stuff up and transport~ wash, rinse, repeat. They get to have fun, I don't have to do as much work and they also discover more organic food under the pack that they can eat. Lots of worms in there.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bay, do you use straw, shavings or wood chips for your goat stalls? We are enclosing a lean-to with rough concrete floors (already there) for our first herd. Plan on deep litter with sleeping platforms. PNW so does not get below 30 usually but I like the idea of lotsa compost, nice heat for them and less work for me (60+).

I have hair sheep and I use waste hay, their round bale is under the lean to roof that is their barn and they drop a lot of hay. I use leaves and pine straw, sometimes pine shavings, straw is not available here. The barn has a dirt floor.

We have chickens and a flock of guineas that keep the top layers turned and dry. Sometimes I rake up the loose hay on top and spread it over the pastures. If I scatter it thinly, it doesn't smother out the grass, but it shades the roots from our ferocious heat. I am 65, husband is 75, we are not going to run around, stricken with OCD on Poop Patrol, grabbing every berry before it hits the ground. LOL LOL Deep litter is a wonderful tool that provides ready to use compost for the garden and pastures.

Latest posts