Coffee anyone ?

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
I stand corrected... thank you. Yeah, they might be different out west... he looked a little light to be a painted turtle... but there are a couple "sub species" and the ones in Conn are a little different from the ones in the beaver pond in VT at grandparents place.. and even a little different from the ones here in Va...
They have those down in Texas is why I know them so well upon sight of them.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I shouldn't rehome to elsewhere on the property the one that I see on the game camera between the barns?

Hmm, or maybe I should.

It always shows up when it is well after dark when the chickens are locked up in their "Fort Knox" stall coop. I also see a skunk and the ever present cottontails. Haven't see the groundhog yet, it has been here a couple of years. Must be male because unlike some prior years, no babies have shown up.
They only eat the ticks that are on them, making absolutely no difference in the tick population. If not in Ft. Knox and they find your chickens 1 will come back nightly to kill your chickens and eat their stomachs. That will make a difference in your coop's population. If you find one that looks gutted that's a possum. Yea I'd rehome. Well I'd rehome after the .22lr talked to it.
hope he makes it but the sad thing is there is like 1 out of 20 or something that actually even make it to water...

Sliders here are so popular you can go from pond to pond shooting them (my favorite pastime) until you don't see any then catch a stringer full of fish go to the next pond and come back to a stringer full of turtle eaten fish heads and turtles everywhere. When it's warm One pond near me that I can go shoot at has so many that I can empty the .22 before lowering it or putting it back on safety. 16 rounds and still turtle heads everywhere.

We have one that size in the aquarium. Got it just for the turtles. A few years ago we had a little slider and a snapper that was barely bigger in the aquarium. The snapper really grew with a few worms and crikets thrown in. We had to take him out.

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
Painted turtle... might have been a nest of eggs somewhere close and they hatched??? That's tiny... if you are fairly close to a creek/pond then that's great... hope he makes it but the sad thing is there is like 1 out of 20 or something that actually even make it to water...
But that is a sign that at least you have a healthy ecosystem for them to have mated, laid eggs and hatched...
You gave him a boost in the percentage of surviving..
IMG_6901.jpeg

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
But that is a sign that at least you have a healthy ecosystem for them to have mated, laid eggs and hatched...
It is said the same for finding salamanders, I found one last here when digging in trench for laying down propane line. Came back next day and he was down there hanging out last year.
IMG_45666.jpg

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
They were sold at a lot of retail stores in the 50’s and 60’s. One problem was people kept getting salmonella from handling them. And damn if I didn’t from handing this one. Or it could have been from cleaning nest boxes. I thought I was careful enough but Uncle Sal paid me a brief visit. :oops:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They were sold at a lot of retail stores in the 50’s and 60’s. One problem was people kept getting salmonella from handling them. And damn if I didn’t from handing this one. Or it could have been from cleaning nest boxes. I thought I was careful enough but Uncle Sal paid me a brief visit. :oops:

So…….. you’re saying pet turtles are not on your list of preferred pets?