Concrete fence posts

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Them standing verticle with stresses from the fencing pulling horizontally may have to do with it. I read one that said 24 hrs were enough, then the longest of 3-4 months. The key is to keep them covered and misted to cure. There are a number of different ways, but I'm leaning toward the old method.

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think it would last a while. It is flexible to extremes. If it should go bad, it could be pushed out and another pex "sleeve" inserted. Of course that means restringing the wire. Idk about the ceramic insulators holding up to the concrete possibly cracking them. But idk. Thinking it will be an interesting project.

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok. I see said the blind man. But 5 of those per post is going to add up. They would be a great choice for the corner posts though.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are going to all the trouble of making permanent posts, go the extra bit for permanent insulators. :thumbsup

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are going to all the trouble of making permanent posts, go the extra bit for permanent insulators. :thumbsup

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I personally don't understand the 3-4 months to cure
They don't wait that long to build on concrete footings which are below grade
Or on. Concrete slab
Commercial concrete often has additives to speed curing. Concrete is also really great at resisting compression; not so great at resisting sideways forces, that's why concrete fence posts need metal reinforcement.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Commercial concrete often has additives to speed curing. Concrete is also really great at resisting compression; not so great at resisting sideways forces, that's why concrete fence posts need metal reinforcement.
All concrete needs metal reinforcement Not just fence posts
Concrete slabs have wire mesh
Footings and walls usually rebar
I worked as a "rod buster" installing rebar on a 60 story building when I was in college
The entire structure columns and suspended slabs was concrete

I don't see why fence posts have to cure for 3 or 4 months

Last edited:

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm toying with using pex water tubing in the forms then cutting it to leave in the post. For straight line electric, it should work. Built in insulator.

I have an old (real old, from maybe the 1920's) textbook on basic construction techniques, and it has a section on concrete fence posts that was interesting. It says properly made, they'll last longer than wooden posts. It gives dimensions and concrete mix proportions. It says holes made in the posts would weaken the post, and the holes might not be where you need them - but they didn't have pex tubing back then, so that might make a difference. It also says metal fasteners inserted into the post will tend to break off or rust off in time. I agree with that, but it might work if you could coat the metal well enough, or use something that won't rust.

It says corner posts should be about 12" square, and 3 to 3.5 feet into the ground. Because of their great weight, they should be cast in place and a perpendicular form used.

It mentions wetting them twice a day so they cure properly, but sadly it doesn't say how long curing takes.