Connemara ponies.

Debby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
IMG_2387-001.jpg
This is a hard update to write, but I want to. On May 2nd my mare had a filly without much difficulty and easily passed a normal placenta. But by the following day she was running a fever and had to be treated with IV fluids, banamine, gentocin, penicillin, and antibiotic uterine flushes. The fever resolved in a few hours, but sadly she foundered the following day anyway.

We have been working since then--many times day and night--to try to stabilize her. It has been very hard to control her pain because the pain meds gave her ulcers. And although she was on stall rest and in corrective shoes, it took a long time to stop the rotation of the coffin bone.

It wasn't until two weeks ago that she really began to improve. It will be a very long time until the corrective shoeing will return her feet to any thing like normal. But I'm determined to see it through.

I don't want this to turn into a laminitis thread, so I'll try to figure out how to upload a pictures of her lovely and sweat filly.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear of her, and your, struggles. Hoping that a great vet and farrier and a wonderful owner like you can get her back to health.

And - the baby is beautiful! Hope she grows into everything you could hope for!

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I just found this thread. What a beautiful mare and the filly is gorgeous too. I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles she'd been having post-birth. Good luck and strength to you both :hugs

BettyBay

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How's everything going. Pat Colby wrote a book on horse care and said a foundered horse needs magnesium. Have you read her books. She one for cows, goats, sheep and farm land. Even a short one for dogs.

Debby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have not read her books. BP is on a biotin and methionine supplement. And she is on a "ration balancer" which contains magnesium, although I don't know if Pat Colby would consider it enough.

She has entered the phase where the corrective shoeing begins to bring the coffin bone back to it's normal position. That was Friday and she is still sore. Over all she is making remarkable, if slow progress.

The baby is learning to lead, tie, lift her feet, and get groomed. She loves it all. Her hazel baby coat is shedding out to jet black. She is "Almost Black Beauty. She has very placid temperament, but can't resist being naughty at times. You can't have a youngster without that.

Happy Labor Day to you all.

BettyBay

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Such good news! :weee
About the magnesium, I don't know the amount either. Usually I give my horses free choice seaweed or kelp. Then they decide if they want any or a lot. It keeps them from stripping the trees because they are looking for some mineral that is too deep in the ground for just grass to reach.
Her great need for mag. seems like it's past because she's still here.
Pat Colby had a story about a pony eating grass where superphosphate spreading trucks were washed. it foundered in 4 hours, but was given 2 doses of 1 lb. of Epsom salts by drench, given 1 hour apart.
She is from Australia and I guess drench is thu a tube into the stomach.
That was for the immediate emergency. Pony recovered. It would scare me to give anything Epsom salts.
I quote her book" Founder is caused by an excess of phosphates without the balancing magnesium in the diet."

I wished she lived in this county and we could learn more from her. She must be in her 90s now. I'll write to you privately if you like, cause I don't want to take over. I'm so new, I can't remember the right term for a private message. Sorry.
I'd like to put a happy face after good news, but I don't know how yet. Just figured it out. :thumbsup

Latest posts